almost entire front end

cstewart

Cameron
Reaction score
front end

i jacked up the truck the other night and realized i had a bad ball joint so i went to advanced auto and got a new one they had the moog ones but also had a heavy duty one without a grease zerk, i know everyone here gets moogs but y? wouldnt the other be better? and also the axle knuckle seal needs replaced where do i get them and the seal installer for it as well?:dunno

Last edited:

94f450sd

certified nutjob
Reaction score
dont worry about being in the wrong forum,one of the mods will see it and move it.the reason we all get the moogs is because of the grease fitting.the ones without grease fittings are junk,you cant grease them.

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
Some say you can't put a grease fitting in the upper ball joint because the grease fitting will make contact with the spinning u-joint.

That is both true & false. It depends on the grease fitting.

Not all 90* grease fittings are the same. The installed height on some is shorter than others. Some can be touched up on a bench grinder, and be made even shorter.

I just did ball joints about two weeks ago. In the pic below, the tall grease fitting came with the Moog ball joints. The other one I got from NAPA. As you can see by looking at the installed height of the zerk fitting, the round bodied fitting is shorter in height by comparison. But if you grind the top of the round ball to make it flat, it's shorter yet. Short enough to clear the u-joint and make the ball joint readily greaseable.

View attachment 10511

where do i get the seal installer?
On edit: as for a seal installer, I've never used anything except a block of wood and a hammer.

Last edited:

RoyBoy

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I will put a standard straight fitting in the upper joint, the 90's seem to get knocked off on me. Then I use one of these adapters to grease them, Lincoln 5884
sjdiscounttools_2076_114129389

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58