Also a Newbee

1HiLimo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys i was wondering if you could point me in the direction to what lt grey smoke out the tail pipe would be and oil residue on the ground? this is my 1st diesel and i have gotten some idea's maybe an inj or turbo seals plus orings on the pedestal cause of the oil leak on the backside of mtr.Plz help :dunno :thanks :sweet

whatabudro

Launched
Reaction score
1HiLimo said:
Hey guys i was wondering if you could point me in the direction to what lt grey smoke out the tail pipe would be and oil residue on the ground? this is my 1st diesel and i have gotten some idea's maybe an inj or turbo seals plus orings on the pedestal cause of the oil leak on the backside of mtr.Plz help :dunno :thanks :sweet

light grey all the time or wide open throttle?

Oil or sout on the ground?

Help us out with a signature if you can so we know what you've done to your rig. Bryan

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Welcome to SuperDutyDiesel! Great to have you aboard 1HiLimo :thumbs
Depending on mileage it could also be injector O-rings,how many miles on your X?

Bill :cowboy:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The grey smoke should only happen w/ full throttle or could be caused by the tuner you're running. light grey to black smoke is due to excess unburned fuel out of a hot cylinder. you can double check to make sure that all of your intercooler boots are tight, because if they are loose you are loosing some of your boost so not enough air to burn the fuel given.

The oil puddle... I'm guessing it's up under the engine. there's a whole list of what can leak. Everything on top of the engine will leak down the back of the engine just like the turbo pedistal o-rings. a visible oil leak is not an injector o-ring problem, so you can rule that one out. turbo pedistal o-rings, EBPV actuator rod are the sources for oil that would be most likely others include IPR, HPOP reservoir, HP oil lines. Other possibilities are a fuel filter that isn't sealed very well (ones w/ integrated lids on the fliter are notorious to have problems in sealing or cracking of the lids) Quite a few people have mistaken leaking diesel for oil.

1HiLimo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The smoke out the tail pipe would be some what lt grey to almost white it shows during idle or when i give it the gas lots and lots of smoke like a feight train.also oil around exhst housing (both sides of rusty looking thing) :dunno should a guy pull the dwn pipe off to check for oil would that tell me if the turbo seals are out.the truck seems to run fine with 31psi of boost.just a lot of smoke under boost. :eek: Oh yeah it is oil on the ground.thanks for the reply and i will check those other possibilities. :sweet

1HiLimo

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Problem solved

1HiLimo said:
The smoke out the tail pipe would be some what lt grey to almost white it shows during idle or when i give it the gas lots and lots of smoke like a feight train.also oil around exhst housing (both sides of rusty looking thing) :dunno should a guy pull the dwn pipe off to check for oil would that tell me if the turbo seals are out.the truck seems to run fine with 31psi of boost.just a lot of smoke under boost. :eek: Oh yeah it is oil on the ground.thanks for the reply and i will check those other possibilities. :sweet

Prob solved thanks to blackclouddiesel.com and beansdiesel.com for their advise.pulled the turbo and seals were bad.rebuilt on the way :thumbs thanks to all who replied! :thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14