Altenator - Bad Diode

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
Hope everyone had a Merry Xmas. I have an issue with my altenator for the 2nd time in 15months 19K miles. Last time I had a remanufactured alt. installed at Town East Ford, at the same time the Hot Wire needed to be fixed. Had it done there and it worked great for a while. Well I took it to Sears for new batteries, Sears tested them (did not disconnect the batteries from each other, is that correct, sure sounds wrong)and said they were good but I have a Alt/diode problem. So I checked and I had it replace sept2005 19K miles ago. I am about to take it back to the dealership if you guys don't have any suggestions on what is wrong with it either.

I left the doors open all day (should have a switch that shuts them off after 20mins of inactivity, it appears to work), The X would not start, jump or use a battery charger to jump it. I let it charge all night and it has worked since, except......

When I start the X the Voltage reads 11-12 volts. After a minute or so it JUMPS upto 14v and you can see a noticable difference in the light and interior lights.

Where is the hot wire for the Alt?

Do you need to disconnect the batteries before testing them?

Are the factory Altenator warranties 12mths/12K? Should they give me some credit for it?

Thanks for all the answers and have a Happy New Years.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
The X would not start, jump or use a battery charger to jump it. I let it charge all night and it has worked since, except......
don't suprise me... a bad diode will cause a current draw and suck them babys right square flat...

When I start the X the Voltage reads 11-12 volts. After a minute or so it JUMPS upto 14v and you can see a noticable difference in the light and interior lights.
well, that might not be a problem. Ford does run the glow plugs for like period of time after the engine has started for smoke control...

Where is the hot wire for the Alt?
single 10 gauge wire off the back of the alternator

Do you need to disconnect the batteries before testing them?
yes, at least from each other

Are the factory Altenator warranties 12mths/12K? Should they give me some credit for it?
got no clue

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
It was a bad altenator, replaced the last one 15 months ago. This time had to replace the altenator and 2 batteries from the stealership, they did give me a $100 credit which was nice, but still cost me $460. This time I am testing it at 11months/11K miles just to make sure it is working. Wonder why it burnt out, I don't have a lot of electrical or stereo running, any idea's?

Thanks!

TXblue

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Bad alternator.

I just went through the alternator/battery R&I with the stealship myself. Three months ago while I had my truck in for a transmission flush, they told me one of my batteries was weak. I decided to wait a while to replace the batteries until I had time to look into new ones. My alternator died after returning from a weekend camping trip. I had the alternator and both batteries replaced. The dealer gave me a 4 year warranty on the alternator. I asked why it wasn't a lifetime warranty like Chevy gives? They answered that Ford still had a way to go to catch up with other makes warranties. LOL
My alternator was a new one, not a rebuilt so it cost a little more. I wish I had a taller garage door so I could get my truck inside to work on it! i hate using the dealer.
:burnit

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
I just went through the alternator/battery R&I with the stealship myself. Three months ago while I had my truck in for a transmission flush, they told me one of my batteries was weak. I decided to wait a while to replace the batteries until I had time to look into new ones. My alternator died after returning from a weekend camping trip. I had the alternator and both batteries replaced. The dealer gave me a 4 year warranty on the alternator. I asked why it wasn't a lifetime warranty like Chevy gives? They answered that Ford still had a way to go to catch up with other makes warranties. LOL
My alternator was a new one, not a rebuilt so it cost a little more. I wish I had a taller garage door so I could get my truck inside to work on it! i hate using the dealer.
:burnit

Wow, so do you think that not replacing the battery caused the altenator to go out? I didn't know any Ford Stealerships that gave anything more than the std. 12mth/12K warranty. Does anyone know of any Dallas dealers that stand behind their product and customers:thumbs . I am tired or replacing brakes and alt/batteries-mad

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
Master Alternator & Starter
213 Mark Lane, Royse City, TX 75189
(972) 722-6157

If I have a battery going bad will it take out an altenator? Are These HD alt. in these PSD's? I just find it to coincidental that the batteries and alt. went out at the same time, both times it happened. Heck now I am scared to add any more electronics, the ole X can't handle it, maybe.:confused:

XTrmXJ

NACHHOOOOOOO!!!!
Reaction score
My alternator went out on the highway and ran on Batteries for a while until I could find an Auto Parts store, Bought and swapped out the alternator in 10 minutes.. A month later, I was back on the road and my battery light started flickering on and off, but with full voltage.. Pulled off the road and had the batteries and alternator checked at Auto Zone, The alternator malfunctioned and was pushing well over 200amps in large bursts to the batteries and the batteries could handle it causing the light to come on.. so I had to swap it back out again, luckily It had a warrentee that was honored..

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Brett you can also give Alterstart a call to give you a quote or their take on the charging issues.

Many of their products come with Lifetime warranties.

Alterstart is located down off of Loop 12 and Davis near Cockrell Hill.

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
Brett you can also give Alterstart a call to give you a quote or their take on the charging issues.

Many of their products come with Lifetime warranties.

Alterstart is located down off of Loop 12 and Davis near Cockrell Hill.

good to hear from you CHP. I wish I would have know that earlier. Just the oddest thing, keep blowing these alt.. They say it is pushing Volts I can see that on the volt meter. No lights ever come on, no warnings. even after it didn't start 6 months ago. I think you helped then too. It ran for another 6 months with no problems......electrical go figure........:confused:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58