Help Needed Altenator Problems AGAIN

JRJ04

Reaction score
how difficult is it to get the belt off to do this? what do you loosen to remove the belt?

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the belt is easy, you just turn the bolt on the belt tensioner/ idler pulley/pulleys below the alternator. Just use a good 24"or longer 1/2" drive and it'll all be a piece of cake.

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Went ahead and bought a rebuilt altenator from Autozone with the Lifetime warranty. Cost $160.00 and took all of 5 mins to insall. Then Charged the Batteries real good and now everything seems fine. Getting 13.9V charging and the batteries are hold 12.5 to 12.95 V. This Dang Ford altenator looks like new, it is only 20 months old. But that is why they have a 12month/12K warranty. Stealerships, Gotta love em.

Thanks All for your help

Brett
Right on brotha!!:sweet

dzl_x_4x4

Dzl_X_4x4
Reaction score
You do not have to loosen anything to get the belt off. If you are looking at the belt tensioner (from the front of the truck). There is a Silver pulley to the left of the fan. Towards the bottom there is a square hole that's a 1/2" ratchet will fit in perfectly. I use a 24" Long -1/2 drive breaker bar( $10), because there is a lot of tension, you will really need to push on a regular ratchet. Then push towards the passenger side (I think) and it will give you the slack you need to get the belt off. I pull it off at the Altenator pulley since it is on top. Put on in the same way. Truely a 5 min job. :sweet

Now if you are replacing the belt you may have to remove a radiator hose, if you have not done a re-route mod yet.

Brett

Last edited:

CHPMustang

Reaction score
Don't forget the heavy gauge charge cable on the alternator is always hot so be careful to not touch anything with it.

I disconnected the batteries just to be on the safe side,I'm not keen about underhood fireworks:D

JRJ04

Reaction score
You do not have to loosen anything to get the belt off. If you are looking at the belt tensioner (from the front of the truck). There is a Silver pulley to the left of the fan. Towards the bottom there is a square hole that's a 1/2" ratchet will fit in perfectly. I use a 24" Long -1/2 drive breaker bar( $10), because there is a lot of tension, you will really need to push on a regular ratchet. Then push towards the passenger side (I think) and it will give you the slack you need to get the belt off. I pull it off at the Altenator pulley since it is on top. Put on in the same way. Truely a 5 min job. :sweet

Now if you are replacing the belt you may have to remove a radiator hose, if you have not done a re-route mod yet.

Brett

yea i'll actually be replacing the belt soon, but plan on putting on the radiator hose (when i flush the coolant) that is set up for the dual alternator to avoid this very problem.

Other than using a little bit of force, theres really nothing to replacing the belt and I could easily do it? Almost sounds easier than installing an exhaust or intake:dunno

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than using a little bit of force, theres really nothing to replacing the belt and I could easily do it? Almost sounds easier than installing an exhaust or intake:dunno

It is much much easier than an exhaust and on the same skill level as the intake. Serpentine belts are wonderfully easy to change especially when compared with having to fight v-belts and find a place to pry against to get the belt tight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58