Question Altenator

IDSTROKER

Blackfoot ID
Reaction score
Well hello everybody it has been a long time. Working way to much now a day's. But I have been doing some addition and Maintenance to my truck and I believe the alternator is going out.

started the truck for 2 minutes and shut it off everything under hood was still cold and the alt burned the P*ss out of my hand what do you all think.

Here is my replacement what do you think and is anybody using one.

http://www.nationsstarteralternator...Ford-Diesel-High-Amp-Alternator-p/tad 190.htm

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have almost the same alternator for my 6.0 but I have not needed to replace mine, Yet. Burning your hand after two minutes of running is not good. Change it, as it sounds like it has an internal short in it.

Dave :dunno

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
heat is caused by high resistance...
check all your connections & cables
might not be a bad idea to scrape the "dead" lead out of the clamps..

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Heat can also be caused by high current. Hi resistance is a likely cause, so do as JL suggests.

Dave

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI -- if your batteries are low or one is dead, the big current draw from a couple of minutes of run can get hot fast too. So make sure your batteries are ok before you toss in the towel on the alternator...

IDSTROKER

Blackfoot ID
Reaction score
Thanks for all the inputs. I did a load test on my battery's all was good and hooked to charger for a couple hours checked cleaned battery post's and cable end's so there good.

motor cold started while running held hand on the alternator well that only lasted for a minute or so and that SOB got HOT and FAST.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If your batteries are fully charged and the cable ends/connections are clean; it must be an alternator problem. A diode can go bad and cause all sorts of problems. Remove the alternator and have it tested to be sure, before you go off and get a new one.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg