Help Needed Alternator acting funny

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My PSD is a '00 with about 85 k miles on the clock. Recently the battery-symbol came on in the dash, and I could measure, that the alternator didn't charge. I cleaned the batteries and worked the cables on the alt a little. I also gave the alternator a gentle knock with a hammer. It started charging. After about 50 miles i quit again, and I repeated the the hammer-trick. It started charging. But for how long? Should I simply replace the alternator or is there hope?

Thanks.

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I am no expert Friis, but it does sound like the alternator maybe going out.

With a volt- meter you could check to see how it is putting out.

Again, I am not very good with this kinda stuff.

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Based on my hammer-method you can see that I'm not an expert either:) But I have checked with the volt-meter, and thats how I can tell that it is charging after the hammering. It is reading around 12.4 v - 12.6 v (same as the batteries alone) before and shifting around 12.9 v and 14.2 v afterwards.:confused:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is one of the few times where the correct procedure is to get a bigger hammer :D

Sadly you already know the problem. more than likely the problem is the voltage regulator on the alternator not brushes being worn out.

Double check the electrical connections to the alternator to make sure that you're not just jarring it enough that the charge wire is now connected.

overworkedunderpaid

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I've had my alternator fixed twice now, both times together are still less than the price of a new one. First time he replaced the diodes, which a lot of shops wont do cause they make more money selling you a new one and this time it was the regulator. About the same symptoms you are describing.

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

As the weekend progressed, the problem developed, and - sadly - the hammer-method stopped working. In a desperate attempt 200 miles from home, I ended up breaking the bolt that holds the hot wire on the back of the alternator :eek: The voltage sank from 11,7 to 6 and finally the engine stopped :( With a little help from a second vehicle, we charged it enough to get it to the nearest shop. So my wife, my dog and me had to take a train which was of course 1 hour late due to *technical* problems :rant
Were finally home, and I get to call the shop in the morning and hopefully soon pick up the truck... 200 miles from home :dunno

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm sounds like something that would happen to me, glad to hear that you're back home safely.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

As the weekend progressed, the problem developed, and - sadly - the hammer-method stopped working. In a desperate attempt 200 miles from home, I ended up breaking the bolt that holds the hot wire on the back of the alternator :eek: The voltage sank from 11,7 to 6 and finally the engine stopped :( With a little help from a second vehicle, we charged it enough to get it to the nearest shop. So my wife, my dog and me had to take a goddam train which was of course 1 hour late due to *technical* problems :rant
Were finally home, and I get to call the shop in the morning and hopefully soon pick up the truck... 200 miles from home :dunno

well, at least you've got a good reason to replace the alternator...

pollittax

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
after ya change that alternator ya might also check, that little plug in the back of the is it making good contact? also isnt that little orange lite blue wire notorious for separating, around the drivers valve cover in the loom? by the way rocks also work real good like on starters.

Friis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What alternator should I get the shop to order? Another thread is talking about the ones from Autozone. Or is it better to go with a genuine Ford, which is probably WAY more expensive? :dunno

As I live in Denmark, the alternator has to work the first time. I'm *not* going to be able to pop by the store and switch a bad alternator! ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14