Alternator/Battery Charging issues

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did not think We had a fusible link?? ? the power lead from the alt to the batt disappears in a loom ,,
I was actually going to replace my cable ,, but since I couldn't trace it I have waited

Waterproof

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i did not think We had a fusible link?? ? the power lead from the alt to the batt disappears in a loom ,,
I was actually going to replace my cable ,, but since I couldn't trace it I have waited

On all the schematics I have seen, there doesn't appear to be a fusible link on that part of the alternator wiring. There are two fusible links from the alternator to the battery, but does not appear to be any on the regulator side back to the instrument cluster.

Zmann ARGH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh .. well I was asking about the alt to the batt but why 2 ? anyway I will sit back and see what you find ,, good luck! thanks for the info

dpantazis

Reaction score
the fusable links are in the underhood electrical distribution box. but i don't think there are any on that part of the circuit.

i have never heard of the battery light on/off trouble shooting before for the alternator. since its not turning putting out voltage, how can the PCM tell if its good or not? :dunno

since the 2 new alternators both put out 9V, are you SURE that they are the right ones. don;t trust the counter monkeys.

i would not be surprised if they had the wrong sized pulley and not turn fast enough to generate the power. stranger things have happened.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I found a fuselink in the Charge circuit. It is the BR (brown) wire going from the regulator (3) to the battery. This DVD has horrible "wiring" diagrams. It is labeled Fuselink E, 18 gauge, Brown.

Dave

Waterproof

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I found a fuselink in the Charge circuit. It is the BR (brown) wire going from the regulator (3) to the battery. This DVD has horrible "wiring" diagrams. It is labeled Fuselink E, 18 gauge, Brown.

Dave

That fuselink is part of the constant hot circuit and not part of the exciting voltage circuit. The #3 wire of the regulator plug is part of the reference circuiting so that the alternator can regulate how much voltage it puts out at varying RPM's of the motor.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I don't have that computer on at the moment so I can't look at the DVD, but why would they fuse the reference wire? Makes no sense. I am not an electronic engineer, but I know wiring and that looks like the output wire to me. I could be wrong however.

Dave

Waterproof

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score

Dave

Dave, wanted to let you know that I found a schematic that shows that fuselink you were talking about. On the schematic that I received from the Ford Dealers website shows the fuselink "E" 20 gauge Grey. It is located between the regulator plug and the battery side of the charging wire. I see what you are saying, but I have my battery voltage on the regulator plug in position 3, so I think that fuselink is good. What I understood from talking to a technician is that position 1 on the regulator plug (the wire that comes from the instrument cluster to the regulator from the battery indicator light), is what is supposed to have the switched 12VDC on it.

This problem is driving me crazy and I need to get my truck running, thank you for presenting that information so that I would go back and review the schematics closer to find that fuselink that I overlooked.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58