Alternator Died at 69,000 miles

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it seem unusually low mileage for my Alternator to get cooked? I thought it would go at least to 100,000 miles.

This may be incorrect thinking, so I'll ask you experts. I installed a coolant filter kit last week and mounted it on the radiator between the coolant hose and air intake tube (have seen many installs there) & am now wondering if the additional heat off the coolant filter is giving the alternator too much heat. I believe these alternators get pretty hot under the hood, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

I purchased a new one at Checkers Auto Parts for $214. It has a lifetime warranty. Since I plan on driving these babies to 300,000 - 500,000 miles, the warranty should come in handy someday (soon if they only go 69,000).

Dennis

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
1) What made you believe it went out???
2) Did the new alternator fix the problem???

Tbar

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tbar said:
1) What made you believe it went out???
2) Did the new alternator fix the problem???

Tbar

First, battery light came on dash. Second, stopped truck, popped hood, alternator was literally "smoking" (when I removed it, it smelled like electrical wires melting). I didn't bother to put a meter on it. Lastly, replaced it with new & all is well.

Last edited:

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Snowman269 said:
First, battery light came on dash. Second, stopped truck, popped hood, alternator was literally "smoking" (when I removed it, it smelled like electrical wires melting). I didn't bother to put a meter on it. Lastly, replaced it with new & all is well.

Humm.............melt down. That would be a good indication. Bummer.

Tbar

Max Power

Reaction score
That is probably premature but that's the way things go sometimes. Just be glad it wasn't something worse or didn't burn the truck down or something. Alternator replacements are fairly simple and not too expensive compared to other things that could go wrong.

Dale_Lakin

Powerstroke Wannabe Owner
Reaction score
Do you drive in a dusty enviorment?
Was there corrosion on the battery terminals or the ring connector on the alternator. Did you look over the I think it is 12 pin connector to make sure there was no damage to it I mean REALLY look at them and see if you see any burnt spots on any terminals or any meltage to the connector that might cause more problems down the road. It is unusal for alternators to short out and get "smoking hot" unless there is a root cause in the wiring somewhere but then again but like Max said sometimes things just break.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Another question to ask......... do you have some kind of undue load on your electrical system?

Snowman269

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No on the dust. No on any additional loads. Superchips & driving (2) 55w driving lights are the only electrical add on with this one.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
Our Excursion has only had 4 problems that I can remember in over 80,000 miles. 1. Alternator 2. Turbo bolts 3. Transfer-Case actuator 4.Door-lock actuators. The alternator went at around 50 or 60 thousand miles for no particular reason. They just don't last sometimes. The alternators on the trucks we run up north(very dusty)last anywhere from 30,000 miles to 200,000 miles. It doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason to it just sometimes they last longer and sometimes they don't.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58