Question Alternator output

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just back from latest trip, up to Des Moines and back. Clicked over the 100k mark on the way up. And first nice road trip with my gauges too, that was enjoyable. :sweet

My question is the alternator voltage...my radar detector can show voltage at the cigarette lighter and I have noticed that it sometimes jumps 1/2 volt. This trip it was hopping between 14V and 13.5V or so. then it would be stable for a long time at something in between, then it would start hopping back and forth. This afternoon and tonight, coming back, it was stable at around 14V-14.1V. I have no idea how good the volt meter is, but if it is correct, what does it mean? (When the truck sits for a few days, it will usually show 14.1-14.6 V as it is charging).

Batteries are about 2yr old, recently cleaned posts and the terminals and wiring is corrosion free. So do you think it's batteries or alternator or fuggetaboutit?

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys...
Where's the regulator on this beast? 1/2 V jump is curiously large. But I won't worryaboutit too much.:sweet

Mac Land

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Can the output for an alternator be too high?

I hit 20,000 in one year of driving and checked the batteries the water level was unusually low but I think I refilled them in time. I was told my alternator was more than likely over charging the batteries. Is this true or could it be something else.

Thanks

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I hit 20,000 in one year of driving and checked the batteries the water level was unusually low but I think I refilled them in time. I was told my alternator was more than likely over charging the batteries. Is this true or could it be something else.

Thanks

yes, and yes.
I see charging voltages pushing 18v nowadays..
heck ten years ago, you'd have been replacing the regulator for that..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14