Alternator replacement

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
im thinkin about doing a tensioner job on mine. im guessing its a pretty straight-forward job? you know any secrets or tricks?

No special tricks needed, it's pretty straight forward. Replacing the tensioner is a "must-do" item sooner or later. After a while, the pivot developes some sidewards "slop" which will cause the tensioner wheel to ride on the belt unevenly. Eventually this will cause the belt to fray and shed cords that whip around breaking and slashing everything in sight. This is not a good thing.

I was lucky. I was able to get the dipstick out with a needle nose after the handle got broke off.

blueoneton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My alt went out a few years ago. I purchased a Ford Remain of course taking my old one in for the exchange. Ford matched my alt up with the remain alt, so far so good. I undestand according to the Ford parts guy, thier reman alt is pretty decent. I understand my alt is 130 amp. I added an aftermarket set of gauges (Autometers) and the Volt Gauge always shows 14.1-14.4 after the glow plugs cycle off.

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
Hey, once again with out having to post a new thread just using the ol search button I find a ton of good info!! Thanks guys for all the help.

I was AAALLLLMOOOST about to make a thread about "how to make your gauges a bit brighter". But at last laziness took over. So on to my errors in the morning, but when I hit the starter it sounded like the batterys were a bit low and BAM it hit me, my alt s&*t the bed! so off to walgreens to pick up a 9volt battery to make my volt tester work, and your darn right I left it running. came back left it running as I put in a new 9volt in and sure nuff the volts came in under 12. so I put in a good spot and turned the truck off and grabbed my bike.

Off to autozone!!!! they had the 110 output with only a $5 core!!!!!! 100% new and lifetime warranty!!!! cant beat that! I kept the old alt to take to a guy I new from when I was a kid running super high demanding stereos to rebuild it when I get the funds.

stuck it in there in under 5 min, but took the time to clean off the posts and deep charge the batterys back up before I start it back up.

man and all I thought I had to do today was a oil change :dizzy:dizzy:dizzy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg