Alternator replacement

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
So my alternator is going south and I plan on replacing it with a motorcraft one, but first wanted to ask if there are any other highly recomended brands or options. So is motorcraft the way to go, or is there a better option in your guys opinion? Anything else that needs to be adressed while I've got the alternator pulled?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would feel good with Motorcraft alternator. I have one waiting for the day mine dies. :thumbs

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Dave said Clint. But.. you might wana step up, in Amp output capability. JMO but the OEM stock Alts are a bit on the low end on Amps. With Two Batts.. and other things we add.. or may add.. if yer guna replace yours.. you might wana look into it.. Motorcraft wise ?

Joe

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
ok. I'll see if they have one with a higher output at the stealership. if they have one that's compatible, I'll go that route. thanks guys.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
well, I called a reputable shop alternator shop today and they want $165 to rebuild mine. That also includes: a larger stator, heavy duty diodes and voltage regulator. They said it should be rated at about 180 amps after they are through with it. So, with that said, I will be having mine rebuilt. I'm also going to ask if they have any replacement diodes they want to sell so I can have them in hand if this issue creeps up while I have the truck in Germany.

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
well, I called a reputable shop alternator shop today and they want $165 to rebuild mine. That also includes: a larger stator, heavy duty diodes and voltage regulator. They said it should be rated at about 180 amps after they are through with it. So, with that said, I will be having mine rebuilt. I'm also going to ask if they have any replacement diodes they want to sell so I can have them in hand if this issue creeps up while I have the truck in Germany.

that's the way I would have done it..

JRJ04

Reaction score
since you'll have your belt off...i'd check that out too. If you haven't replaced it, I would go ahead and do that since you'll be overseas. Which of course brings up another question. Have you replaced the upper radiator hose with the one that's set up for dual alternators? If you haven't, that hose will have to come off to get the belt off.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
well, had the alternator rebuilt and installed. Everything seems to be running smooth now. Batts are charging like they should. I bought the extra regulator control board in case mine takes a crap in Germany. He said after beefing mine up, it tested at 170 amps. $200 for everything. Even painted it Ford blue.

Thanks for all the help on this guys. I'll be posting on here soon for suggestions of what to do to my truck for ease of maintenance/longevity before I ship it to Germany.

clintusaf

Clint
Reaction score
since you'll have your belt off...i'd check that out too. If you haven't replaced it, I would go ahead and do that since you'll be overseas. Which of course brings up another question. Have you replaced the upper radiator hose with the one that's set up for dual alternators? If you haven't, that hose will have to come off to get the belt off.

Jourdan,

Thanks for suggestions. I actually just replaced my belt, tensioner pulley, and idler pulley. All Fomoco parts. I have heard about the dual alternator upper radiator hose and will be swapping that in before I ship the truck. Any other suggestions are all welcome. thanks alot.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58