altitude compensation

scoutman77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What if any changes do I need to make for going up in the mountains? I'm starting in the relatively flat and low, Iowa. going up into the bighorn mountains in Wyoming this summer. Buffalo area to be exact. Haven't even had a chance to pull the camper on level ground yet. but was wondering what to expect in the mountains.
Thanks

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
You don't need to do anything. The ECM will take care of any adjustments for you. Just have a nice drive and enjoy.

Dave

roosterdiesel

Earl needs B100
Reaction score
Only thing I do is moderate throttle to keep from blowing clouds at upshifts. Even when I was stock tuning, and exhaust with a 5-layer cotton gauze intake from AirAid I could put out a good cloud on upshifts in the NM mountains. Now with tunin I can really :wow "roll the coal" when in mountains. I believe even at 5000 ft your getting into the high altitude tables of the PCM.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Yeah, as said already, youll blow more smoke and you'll also need to keep an eye on your EGT's a little closer. When you coming? Buffalo is just up the road from me.

scoutman77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
late july, early august. Wifes dad lives in buffalo. we are going to pull the camper out,( reason for buying a SD pickup ;) ) going to take a few days hiking up bomber mountain. other than that, plan to do some trout fishing. ;)

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
scoutman77 said:
late july, early august. Wifes dad lives in buffalo. we are going to pull the camper out,( reason for buying a SD pickup ;) ) going to take a few days hiking up bomber mountain. other than that, plan to do some trout fishing. ;)
Sounds like you have been in the area before, its nice up there. :sweet

scoutman77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we just found her dad 4 yrs ago. ( I think!) we've been out there all but the last year, two years ago, we tried bomber mnt. but didn't allow enough time. now that we have the camper, and the truck, we can go and not have to share hotel rooms with the brothers ( who are planning to go with! :oops: )

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14