Question Aluminized VS Stainless Exhaust

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
I am trying to decide which MBRP 4IN turbo back kit to go with. I am torn between the 409 stainless and the aluminized other than the price and material I am not sure. I talked to an installer here in town and he said that I could get by with the aluminized because the diesel puts out so much heat the aluminized will never rot out but it sounds like he is blowing smoke. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
How long do you keep a vehicle........if you trade every 3-4 years the aluminized will suffice.

If you keep a vehicle 10yrs go with the stainless.........especially in your climate.

Tbar

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I am trying to decide which MBRP 4IN turbo back kit to go with. I am torn between the 409 stainless and the aluminized other than the price and material I am not sure. I talked to an installer here in town and he said that I could get by with the aluminized because the diesel puts out so much heat the aluminized will never rot out but it sounds like he is blowing smoke. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Take it from a fellow yooper, go stainless!! But get the 304 vs the 409. I've had aluminized, lasted maybe 3 to 4 years before the muffler rotted.

I had a Banks system 409 stainless, it lasted longer but still was showing corrosion signs after 5 years or so.

304 costs more, but it will be the last exhaust you'll ever need to buy for your truck.

I put a MBRP 304 system on about 3 years ago and it looks like new after 3 winters of U.P. road salt.

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
This is why I am torn. I am going to have this truck for 5 to 6 years and then trade it off on another diesel. That and I budgeted for the 409 and the 304 is 200 more so I have a pretty tough decision because I have guages and paint I have to pay for yet. Why do these decisions have to be so dang difficult.:lmao

And I just ordered a bunch of LED stuff this morning.

Last edited:

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
....I am going to have this truck for 5 to 6 years and then trade it off on another diesel....

That's what you might be thinking now. But with DPF's and urea injection systems mandated by the EPA, you might have seconds thoughts 5 or 6 years from now.

I'll probably be driving mine until I wreck it or the wheels fall off whichever comes first. Either that or I'm too old & senile to drive anymore. :wc:fogey

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
I was poking around on DPPI's site and they only stock the 409 in the single 4IN offroad kits. The next truck that I own will most likely be purchased by the company and not my self. The other route I am considering is just doing a cat test pipe and remove the stock muffler and call it day to save some cash and this would win some points with the Mrs if I went this way.:sly

Thanks for the advice guys I need to make my decision in the next couple days.

Last edited:

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put aluminized on mine (MBRP) in 2006 and it has zero signs of rust or corrosion. Granted it has spent most of its time here in NC but it has spent one winter in MA in the salt while I was deployed. I run a straight pipe turbo back by the way
I will report back in a few years after I move back to MA. for good this summer, of course you probably don't want to wait that long. :D
I also plan on driving mine until the wheels fall off. I have no desire for a newer truck, although I do love the interior of the new trucks.

Last edited:

Yooper75

Boost Junky
Reaction score
I am 98% certain I have made my decision on how I am going to do this. I going to go with the 409 cat back with the muffler and cat delete pipes because I am not going to tune the truck right now and I am only looking for more turbo whistle. And if I ever get to the point that I want to tune it I can buy the down pipe for a complete turbo back system. Going this route will also save me $200 because I can install it in a night in the drive way with out a lot of down time and I dont have to pay anyone to do it.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
MBRP is a great system. I have aluminized on mine and it looks pretty good even after the road salt from this year and last. I plan on drivin mine till the wheels fall off, but then I'll put them back on and drive it some more!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg