Question ambulance package questions

Seabass

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
What besides the second altenator is in the ambulance package? What is the aproximate cost of retrofitting a single altenator truck to a dual altenator truck?

Thanks!

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
springs and better sway bars were also included in that package though I think that you could also get the same springs & swaybar with the camper prep package

For going to dual alternators it will be a rather expensive setup that unless you need the redundancy of 2 alternators of which both are different than the standard single alternator setup then you should look at one of the aftermarket high output alternators.

Seabass

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Need... want... lol so it's pretty pricey huh? is it more than just a bracket, altenator, belt and wiring? maybe stuff I could source from a dismantaler when the time comes?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The Engine Control Module (ECM) is different in that it tells which alternator to come on and when. This is NOT an easy modification to do.

Dave

Seabass

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
There really isn't a need for it i guess just a general interest. As far as high output altenators go (rewinds) I've heard theyonly throw out the high amps when there spinning above idle speeds witch is really the only time I'd ever be really using alot of juice. Is the second altenator internaly regulated? If so I could wire it to only work with a high idle switch. Just bench racing for now, no imediate plans...

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes the alternators are internally regulated, even the dual alternator setup is not intended for heavy use at idle.

What are you intending to power with the second/larger alternator? that makes a big impact on how to go about getting the additional power.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
If you put a high Idle switch on the truck, you could run those with a bigger altermator since most high idles will bring you up to 1100-1300 RPMs when turned on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14