Amsoil filter location

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy everyone -

I've got a 2006 F250 with the 6.0 Diesel motor. I'm getting ready to install the Amsoil bypass filter kit on it, and am wondering where everyone with this setup has installed the filter. I can't hang it off the alternator like other folks because my coolant filter setup is in that space. I think I'm going to mount it to the frame, right behind the tcase on the drivers side. It will sit horizontal and be high and out of the way.

Anyone else have their filter mounted to the frame? Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

- Steve

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bypass

I have the same thing as you coolant and bypass - so I put it on the passenger side rail, vertical. Made up an adapter to attach it to holes in the frame that were already there.

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got any pics?

I'm going to have a tranny filter mounted on the outside of my passenger side rail, so I may be using the same holes that you're talking about.

How did you run your oil lines down to the frame? The reason I'm thinking of putting it on the driver's side is so that the lines won't be near the downpipe.

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I,m sure you did loo, but here is a link on Amsoil's site of customer instilations. Should give you some ideas.

Amsoil

Jetpilot1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Texas AM

Yes if you put the oil filter on the passenger side you have to be very careful of the downpipe, but it can be done. Be careful of aftermarket tranny filters, there is a balance from the factory and there has been cases where the extra filter causes less flow to the cooler overheating the transmission. The stock filter is actually a bypass filter as it filters only a portion of the oil.

TexasA&M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the tranny filter I'm going to be installing -

http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=762

It's a full flow design with a bypass valve in case the filter becomes clogged. Looks like a pretty good product. I have their coolant filter installed as well (just installed last week).

Going to order the amsoil tonight and hopefully get it all installed by next weekend. Then it's time to put the truck to work!!!

icarus

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or do those two filter manufacturers contradict themselves, especially in regards to the filter style and medium??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58