Another EGR

85buggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This might be some kind of record had a problem in February rough idle white smoke bogging down check engine light. The dealer said my EGR valve was bad they replaced it glad I still have a little of the 100,000 mi warranty left. Well yesterday simililiar problem this time bogging down with black smoke,check engine light . Took it back in yesterday. Just picked it up they replaced the EGR valve again and cleaned the carbon out of the manifold. They said carbon broke loose and clogged the valve. They couldn't tell me why they didn't clean that out last time.

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should ask them why the truck is making the excess carbon. Something is causing inefficient combustion.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is probably idling too much. You need to drive these trucks like you stole them. Get on it!

Dave

85buggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving

They said something like the guys that are doing the work truck stuff like hauling & trailer hauling aren't seeing these problems. I drive the highway every day I have to try to get on it more everyday I don't want these problems when I have to pay for the repairs ..Thanks for your input !!

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, gotta get on it once a week at least. My dad's truck had the same issue. His turbo was coked up and I've cleaned his EGR a number of times. Good thing his EGR is going away as soon as I can get it to the mechanic!

My truck doesn't seem to have the EGR issue....might have something to do with my right foot. My trucks also never seem to get the mileage Dad's does....

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People will come in an complain to me that they keep having egr issues and when i ask them how much idling they do they get quiet - I saw an 6.0l ambulance sitting in a parking lot the other day idling when i went into the store and came out a half hour later and he was still there running, i wanted to tell him to shut the f***ing truck off, clogging egr and wasting taxpayers $$$ fuel - Idling gets u nowhere. pisses me off when i see that

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People will come in an complain to me that they keep having egr issues and when i ask them how much idling they do they get quiet - I saw an 6.0l ambulance sitting in a parking lot the other day idling when i went into the store and came out a half hour later and he was still there running, i wanted to tell him to shut the f***ing truck off, clogging egr and wasting taxpayers $$$ fuel - Idling gets u nowhere. pisses me off when i see that

FWIW, equipment in the ambulance needs the truck to be running or plugged in to operate.

6.0PSD777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do u need running when waiting for a call, 2 way radio? I can see if u have a paitent on board or ur at a call - Not trying to sound like a jerk but it just doesn't make sense to me...

Last edited:

architect-builder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certain meds that need to be kept cold, certain items that need to be kept warm, also, certain equipment that needs to be kept charged, plus, the radio's expend more energy that you think, I've gone out to rescue my brother on several occasions in college with his then girl friend, and a dead battery, because he was parked in the desert with his stereo on, while on a date. (Those phone calls were always so funny.)

Like I said, FWIW. B

First Ford

Black Momba
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents but these trucks we all have should be able to idle for days if we wanted. What I mean is the EGR system SUCKS! We should be able to use our trucks how we please thats why my cooler and up pipe ''EGR'' are lost in the back of my shed and I ant looken for um! :rant

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58