Another ESOF 4X4 problem

StrokinHarley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A while back I had a problem with my 4x4 not engaging and it ended up being a dry rotted line at the hub connection. Well with my luck I know have another. I have checked all the 4x4 vacuum lines and there good and they hold vacuum. The 4x4 light comes on and you can here the differential engage. I also noticed when you shift the switch to 4high the A/C switches to defrost however I have no vacuum leak so whats the deal? could it be a solenoid?:dunno

Any help would be greatly appreciated

AK Rover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HVAC switching to defrost is historically a sign of a busted vacuum line. Since you have checked all the vacuum lines I would inspect the hub seal to make sure they're holding vacuum like they should. My truck had a bad hub seal so I had to manually lock my hubs all last winter but I don't recall it causing the HVAC to switch to defrost. (I use defrost or defrost/floor setting 95% of the time so maybe I just didn't notice.) You could have a bad vacuum pulse motor but I think a bad hub seal is more likely.

W4RLR

High Tech Hillbilly
Reaction score
Check the vacuum solenoid on the inside of the engine compartment, passenger side. If it goes bad, it can't provide enough vacuum to activate the hubs. A new one costs $83 at the dealer, I fixed all of the problems you describe with a new solenoid. All of my vacuum lines were fine.

Skydogfarms

SDD Member
Reaction score
Vacuum solenoid

I just replaced my vacuum solenoid last week. It fixed all of my troubles. The A/C would not work when I selected 4x4.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58