Another newbie question

sesco4

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Now that I want a SD everybody is tring to tell me why I don't want one. About all of them have never owned a diesel and I guess are just going off of rumors they have heard.

True or false is it hard on one to use it for short drives such as just to run to the store down the road. Supposedly not giving the truck sufficient time to warm up the operating temp.

Thanks

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
well it all depends on the conditions out but yes diesels are more cold natured than gas vehicles..should always let them warm up pretty good when its cold out...always good to let em cool down so the turbo and other components have ample time to cool down...i def wouldnt just crank it and go like a lot of people do on their gassers..you can get a gas SD

Roland_Jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short trips don't give either gas or diesel rigs a chance to warm up. Takes around 30 to 45 minutes for a gasser to evacuate the moister from the oil pan.

If you have your heart set on a diesel you aren't going to be happy with anything else.

NevrKnow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ANY vehicle needs to be driven to oper. temp just to burn off condensation. Gas or diesel.

You knew this was coming........look at the forum name.:lmao

We're kinda partial here. :tounge

On edit: Damm Roland typed faster then me. HAHAHA. Great minds think alike!

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
Diesel

Not even worth the money to own a 3/4 ton or 1 ton if your not going to use it. Owning a diesel is not for the faint of heart, you need to maintain it well and drive it like it was designed to be, plowing, pulling, towing, etc. Ontop of that repairs can be much more than a car or light truck, think about injectors alone? $150-$300 for 1. HPOP is about $600 that's just a few things that diesels need to run. Whether you buy a 6.9, 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 it's going to break eventually, I call it engineering obscolesence, you can call it whatever but for the cost of running that truck you could buy two small cars. Just my opinion but think about it and if you want one bad enough you'll get one and I hope your very happy with it. Good luck sesco4

rammertide07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is somewhat true. It takes a lot more to get a diesel going than a gasser, it has a lot more metal so it does take a little longer to warm up, and it is harder on the batteries. It takes more juice to to crank a diesel and you need to run it loing enough to put the charge back in the battery. I live only 3 miles from work and I can tell on the 500 mile trip back hom yesterday, it had smoothed out from it being ran short distances. I live in my 5th wheel so I dont have an option but to own a diesel. Like mentioned before, let it wam up and cool down. A remote start would be convenient for you and it doesn't take long to cool down.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simmons Inaya