another newbie question...

imtheway

The New Guy
Reaction score
hey strokers whats up?

im going to change my oil for the first time (instead of letting the dealer do it for $90+)...so i was wondering is there a specific oil i should be using? how many quarts? what kind of filter?

imtheway.

BK Meyers

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
oil

imtheway said:
hey strokers whats up?

im going to change my oil for the first time (instead of letting the dealer do it for $90+)...so i was wondering is there a specific oil i should be using? how many quarts? what kind of filter?

imtheway.

Are you wanting to go with "organic" oil or synthetic???

If you are staying with an "organic" oil then Shell's Rotella 15w40 is used quite often. For a filter I use Motorcraft #1995. Both are readily available at Walmart, Autozone, Advanced Auto, etc.

There are other oils (Delo) and synthetics that others can recommend. I used Rotella in my former '97 PSD and am using it in my "new" 2000 PSD.

One tip to think of: I have pretty much stopped changing my own oil. I purchase my oil and filter then go to a local Oil Changer place. They know me and treat me well. This has a couple of benefits, but the biggest is disposal of the used oil. The PSD alone carries 3.5 gallons.

Don't forget to also get on a regular schedule for draining your water trap and changing your fuel filter.

Later,
BK Meyers

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
My last oil and filter change cost me $43.24.

Rotella-T and Motor Craft FL1995.

Tbar

bigdaddyTank

Who's your Bigdaddy?
Reaction score
15 quarts of Chevron Delo 400 is what I use but any good oil that is API C rated like CI-4, CH-4, CG-4, CF-4, CF-2, CF
Rotella synthetic and Mobil1 Truck & SUV formula synthetic along with Rotella-T, and Delo 400 are the easiest to find and most Wal-Mart's and auto parts stores are going to have them.
Oil filters either Motorcraft FL1995 or Wix 51734 are good choices plus are easy to find.
Dont forget to get a BIG drain pan. I got a 5 gallon plastic gasoline can at walmart then labled it used oil, makes it easy to carry and store old oil and my local NAPA has no problems taking it that way.

Last edited:

mudracingfever

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
imtheway said:
hey strokers whats up?

imtheway.

make sure when you change the filter that you fill it first before putting it on. that way its primed.. should take about half a gallon to fill it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14