Another "what tires?" question

possum398

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I just bought my f350 4x4. Right now it has dayton at on it. They ride ok, but they are old and I am seeing what is the beginning of dry rot. So I need tires. Now this truck is my daily driver, so the tires must have good road manners, but I do plan on using the 4wd. I do a lot of hunting and fishing, so it must have good offroad manners also. I also tow a gooseneck, so it must have a decent load rating. What do yall recommend?

ckamp52

ckamp52
Reaction score
well if you can find them i love the laramie trailcutter r/t's..i say if you can find them because they were bought out by cooper and now youhave to pay twice as much to get a similiar tread pattern. i spend a lot of time running up and down the road(commercial concrete superintendant) but i also spend a lot of time off road at the remote jobsites that we do for the gas companies and i live in the counrty and pull a trailer dang near everyday that is pretty darn heavy..they wear great and have plenty of grip for what i needed and theyve surprised me a few times gettin me through stuff...most of all i got 65k out of them and didnt pay out the butt for them either i think paid 160 a piece for 265/70/17 they are load range E

Last edited:

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dayton is a Wal-Mart tire, hence the manners it has....

You probably want to stick with a Load Range E tire, for maximum load capabilities and side sway characteristics. I run the Michelin AT-2's, great tire, quiet on the road, capable off the road. I run a lot of dirt roads, (daily) muddy turn rows, (weekly) and do get stuck from time to time, but it's not the tire's fault. It's still a 8000 lb truck with a 4500 lb boat anchor up front, it's not going to do the best in the mud....

The Michelins are pricey though, BFG's are a bit cheaper, but still the same company as Michelin. Others tires people like are Coopers, Pro Comps, etc. Nitto seems to get mixed reviews for mileage. I'm sure others will chime in here.

possum398

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
The local tire shop was recommending BFG TKO tires. What do everyone think of those? Also anyone tried retreads. I have run a lot of them on my Jeeps, but no experiance with them on a big truck. I buy them from hightechretreads.

Last edited:

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't run retreads on a 3/4 ton truck. Yes, BFG AT/KO tires are a great tire, I have them on an older pickup. Good highway manners, still has more bite off road than most people need.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58