Another White Smoke Thread

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
While driving down the highway my engine started sputtering and puffing black smoke, so i moved over to the slow lane. Then all of a sudden white smoke came out the exhaust pipe, so I pulled over and stopped. I ran the engine a bit longer (with white smoke) to check the gauges. The temp was in the normal range good oil pressure. I shut the engine off and called AAA.

I am reading that if it was a head gasket the temp would have increased and pushed out the bottle (which never happened) so I am looking at the EGR cooler as the source of water. I will look inside the EGR valve sometime tomorrow.

Here is my questions: Do you think that the EGR cooler leaking? or something else?

I replaced the EGR, EGR cooler, Head gaskets, HPOP, and water bottle in the last year and a half, so I am really at a loss on this one.

Second question? If I hydro-locked the cylinders how do I get the coolant out without damaging.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I would bet on the EGR cooler as the source of the water and white smoke.. The EGR Valve can and will cause black smoke, but not white smoke. The only way I know of to get water out of the cylinders (hydro-locking) is to remove the glow plugs, and that is a job in itself. Good luck!

Dave

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
If you suspect hydro-locking, turn the engine over with a breaker bar and a socket. If it turns over completely for two turns, without any abnormal resistance, you are OK.

Dave:)

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
Thanks I will give that a try. I know that there is coolant in there somewhere. I don't want to crank it over with the starter as it might bend something internal.

I will keep you posted.

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
Another question. Would you recommend the EGR bypass since I am going to be pulling it anyways? I would like to keep it stock LOOKING so which one is best?

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
Okay I have a response to this thread... I pulled off the EGR Cooler and found it leaking. Now I am installing the EGR delete and oil cooler.
It is taking some time to complete but it has been a real learning experience. The EGR and oil cooler that I am having to replace is after only 1.5 years. I am changing the oil cooler again just for added protection.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14