Any Gun Cleaning Experts???

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
I just got myself another "toy", a Ruger 10/22 fun gun, stainless with a black composite stock, BSA scope with some see-through scope mounts. I plan on upgrading the stock & barrel later on for improvement in both eye appeal & accuracy.

I've been doing some reading on recommendations as to cleaning techniques. Many say avoid aluminum cleaning rods and not to run dry patches thru the bore etc.

What sorts of lessons learned and pointers do y'all have?

dpantazis

Reaction score
TG-

are you on rimfirecentral? you might want to check it out.

i soupped up my 10/22 with a factory second fajen stock i finished myself and a whistle pig running boar barrel.

as far as cleaning rods go, i use a piece of weed wacker nylon string. i melt a button on one end, cut the other end to a slant point and push that through the patches. then feed it from the mag end and ALWAYS pull towards the muzzle.

dry patches? why would you?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I have had a 10/22 for forty years and never ran dry patches through it. I still use the aluminum rod. I haven't seen anything to convince me to change the cleaning rod. My gun is stock.

Dave:dunno

F350DRW1

Waylon Fan
Reaction score
My 10/22 is 15 years old, and all I've ever used is a simple Hoppe's kit. I'm not sure why you would pull a dry patch thru. Fishing line works well if your worried about scratching the bore. Just tie the patch in the center, feed the line towards the muzzle, and pull it thru.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
I just may be the King of 10/22's, owning a gun safe half-full of them...
the chambers are not precision enough in a factory barrel to warrant any more than normal care.. even the "Target" barrel has a bucket-load of freebore and a nicely tapered forcing cone...
they break down off the action with two allen screws, so as long as you aren't gorilla-torquing them back in, go ahead and remove it and just run a rod through it from the breech.. you might need a couple of "sighters" when you first get it back out to shoot, but then again, you should check the zero on any arm before pressing it into service.

NEVER take the trigger group apart to clean it (unless you have another one to look at while re-assembling).. unless you enjoy Chinese puzzles. Just take it off the receiver and hose it out good with non-chloro brake cleaner..

here's my baby... an RSI with a military sling... don't matter what else comes outta the safe, this one does too..
P1010005.jpg

Last edited:

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I did take apart my trigger, years ago. I never did it again. It works great for squirrel shooting. I have a X9 scope on it.

Dave :)

02stroker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I run through the barrels of any of my rifles, and shotguns for that matter, are bore snakes. Quick and efficient, and you just throw them in the laundry when they are dirty. They work great in my oppinion. I haven't used a cleaning rod since I was in the army.

Hoppe's 9 - BoreSnakes

Got Diesel

Engineering College Boy
Reaction score
I use a bore snake on mine. It's built pretty good and shoots very well. What's wrong with you all there's nothing wrong with taking apart the trigger group. It goes right back together lol. You really don't have to clean that thing a whole lot, shooting won't change a whole lot.

Like Dennis said, check out rimfirecentral. Lol I bet that gun will never be the same afterwards.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
hmmmmm all my firearms get cleaned and field stripped
i use an alum rod but with wet patches, i dont get in a hurry and dont drag the alum on the barrel.
may try the bore snakes now, wash and wear is a great idea. thanks 02 ;tu

my biggest problem is the tiny bits of grit from the range that get in places where grit shouldnt go. it seems even on a calm day the pieces of sand will magically move in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58