Question Any long term probs with unplugged EGR?

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah it will throw a code, but it may or may not turn on the CEL....

I bought my truck in Massachusetts and when I unplugged mine it threw a code and lit the CEL. I plugged mine back in and cleared it because it drives me nuts to have CEL on and the "black tape" fix drives me nuts as well. (my wife says it is OCD) anyway I think trucks delivered to the states that have stricter emissions standards, like MA, CA, NY, CT, and a few others probably will throw a code and CEL. Most guys that live in the less restrictive states say that they get no CEL.
FWIW I tried to put a different intake elbow on mine and remove the EGR throttle plate, as soon as I removed the EGR throttle plate / actuator it threw a code and CEL. The actuator was not used after '04 but again the only trucks that would throw the CEL where the stricter emissions trucks. I spent alot of time on the phone with the manufacture of the elbow and they were supposed to design a way to "fool" the computer into thinking the actuator was still plugged in. I gave up after about six months and got my money back.

desert50eagle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are 2 reasons i am unplugged.

1. I dont belive that recycling EXHAUST gasses back into your intake can be beneficial to your motor. If oxygen is crucial to our engines than why recycle gas that contains almost no oxygen back into it??

2. Egr valves have been problematic (dirty, clogged or broken) on the 6.0s. Since I am not using mine than I should't have to worry about cleaning or replacing it.

nhf250

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
not to mention less turbo lag and better mpg 1.5 to 2 better when egr unplugged.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58