Any RV Transporters Out There?

BudMan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I am new to the board.

I have a 2006 F350 DRW that I plan on using to tow trailers for delivery to dealers from the makers in Indiana.

Looking for anu RV transporters out there for advice/guidance.
TIA!

BudMan

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Welcome to Super Duty Diesel, Budman. Yes we do have at least one AUTO Hauler here; BamaSixGun is his handle. I know he will contact you. He is a great guy and a good one for advise.

Dave

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
I am new to the board.

I have a 2006 F350 DRW that I plan on using to tow trailers for delivery to dealers from the makers in Indiana.

Looking for anu RV transporters out there for advice/guidance.
TIA!

BudMan

Welcome Bud. Glad to see ya here at SDD.com.

I am in the auto transport biz, as Dave was saying (BTW Dave, thanks for the kind words :sweet ) I dont really have any experience in the RV transport business, but I will definately try to help ya out in anyway I can.

Let me ask this first, do you have your authority (ICC-MC#) yet? DOT#?
and all that good legal stuff you have to have to haul for hire?

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to SSD.com BudMan. I just pull my RV to go camping and trips and my 06 CC DRW does a real good job of it. Good luck and like Bama said get all your ducks in a row before you start.
With fuel as high as it is you will have to be real carefull to make any money at it. Good Luck.:goodluck

:welcome3 :welcome :welcome2 :ford :thumbs

BudMan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
RV Transporting

Most of the transporters operate under the transport companies authority and ICC number so I won't be getting my own.

BudMan

BudMan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Independent Contractor

That's the term all the companies use. The companies are Jet (owned by JayCo) Horizon, Hoosier, Classic, Quality and Hourgalss. They all have web pages advertizing the jobs.

Most pay about 80 cents a mile with a fuel surcharge averaging about 28 cents per mile. Most pay an extra 10 cents for travel to Canada.

I have ytalked to a number of drivers as they pass through a local truck stop nad all seem happy with the job but all make the usual remarks about the company they wok for, like "they're only interested in the money", etc

I am going to try it, I was just hoping to find someone in the business that could give me advice or tips.

Most only require a half million in unladen insurance with the company picking up the the under tow insurance. You must keep a daily log but a CDL is not required. Truck has to be licensed at under 26,001 pounds and have all the appropiate hitches and equipment like a tow package and both types of electrical plugs.

I am really looking forwward to doing it (actually the travel). I'm lucky in that I have already retired twice, once from the Army and the second time from the Fed government. So it will not be my main source of income and healthcare is already taken care of.

Besides, my SO is tired of me hanging around the house<GRIN>

BudMan

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man ive never figured it out but can you tow a trailer for 1.08 per
mile and still make money after paying all the insurance, fuel & wear/tear ?

BudMan

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Here's what I've been told about pay

Most of the guys (and one girl) who I have talkked to say they clear about $40,000 per year. This is based on about 70,000 miles. Most have their trucks to about 400K miles and then find another one. All are using turbo diesels, either the 6L Ford or the Dodge Cummmins. I have only met one driving a Chevy and he is trying to sell it to buy a Ford.

Fords are supposedly m,ore reliable but Dodges are cheaper to fix when something goes wrong.

All are paying little or no income taxes. Each company sends out a 1099 at the end of the year. The driver (O/O) is responsible for filing taxes. Some do it quarterly as a sole proprietor others are filing as LLCs.

All take the 48.5 cents per mile credit rather than depreciation as it works out better in the long run with less work. All take the $54 per diem for meals and expenses.

All of them are using aux fuel tanks (usually 100 gals) and know where to fuel at the most inexpensive places such as Indiana to go west and then Cheyeene out west to come home. Most are picking up back haiuls of all types, usually livestock trailers in Colorado and Oklahoma to return to the midwest so they are getting paid both ways. Most are not doing "forced dispatch" but instead picking their loads by type and destination.
Apparently there is currently an addition 10-12 cents per mile for loads going to the northeast as no one wants to deliver there. (Because of congestion and to many up and down mountains)

Canada is nuce but a passport is reuired beginning in January of 2008. I'm told this may prevent some drivers fropm crossing over if they have any criminal arrests in their background. One driver was refused entry because he had a shop lifting charge 18 years ago and another for multiple DUIs.

All the companies require the DOT Drivers Daily Log which allows you to work 14 hours per day but only drive for 11. You must then have 10 hours consecutive rest. Toy can only drive 70 hours in any 8 day period and then are required to have a "restart" which mandates at least 34 consecutive hours of off duty time. The DOT has ruled that the back seat of a crew cab does not qualify as a sleeper berth because it is 3 inches to short (by width). The companies do not allow drivers to sleep in the trailers so you need to be creative at weigh stations. Another bad point, you have to do weigh stations in most states and have all the same equipment that the semis are required to have, fire extinguisher, flares or reflective triangles and replacement fuses for all of your electrical boxes.

You're also required to provide a 5th wheel, gooseneck hitch and both 2 inch and 2 5/16 incnh balls oin a class 4 hitch. Almost all require a turbo diesel and prefer DRW.

BudMan

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
That's the term all the companies use. The companies are Jet (owned by JayCo) Horizon, Hoosier, Classic, Quality and Hourgalss. They all have web pages advertizing the jobs.

Most pay about 80 cents a mile with a fuel surcharge averaging about 28 cents per mile. Most pay an extra 10 cents for travel to Canada.

I have ytalked to a number of drivers as they pass through a local truck stop nad all seem happy with the job but all make the usual remarks about the company they wok for, like "they're only interested in the money", etc

I am going to try it, I was just hoping to find someone in the business that could give me advice or tips.

Most only require a half million in unladen insurance with the company picking up the the under tow insurance. You must keep a daily log but a CDL is not required. Truck has to be licensed at under 26,001 pounds and have all the appropiate hitches and equipment like a tow package and both types of electrical plugs.

I am really looking forwward to doing it (actually the travel). I'm lucky in that I have already retired twice, once from the Army and the second time from the Fed government. So it will not be my main source of income and healthcare is already taken care of.

Besides, my SO is tired of me hanging around the house<GRIN>

BudMan

your're also gonna need to have a medical card, if ya aint already got one.

also, will the company you lease too try to find you any backhauls? AT 1.08 a mile (which in the auto transport biz is too cheap), if you are dead-heading all the way back, you will not make any money. Just something to think about.

The last time I checked, if you are tagged and your combined GVWR is under 26,000, and it is a non-CDL vehicle, you only had to keep a time log (not a log book) but more or less something showing the time you left out and then the time you return.

This could have changed in the last year, and I know that the HOS rules are currently under some changes again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14