Any Steelheaders?

dmftoy1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a really nice one. I haven't done it very often, maybe 10-12 times in my life, but when my dad retired and moved to Oregon we used to go. He had his own drift boat. I think the biggest I ever caught was right around 9 1/2 pounds. I was really tired of cranking on that reel when we got him in. :)

Congrats!

Have a good one,
Dave

Rookie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
94redbeauty said:
Just curious, slayed my first steelhead today, pretty stoked!!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/127549480/2558131900053910895qGlbox

I stood in the Toutle, the Green and just about every other river on the wet side here with my dad during the 60's and never got nothing but the sniffles. My steelhead outfit has been hanging in his garage since '71 when my uncle sam decided he needed my help...

Good job :thumbs

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
That is about the size of the one i caught this weekend down in Hell's Canyon, on the Salmon/Snake River(s) in Idaho. We were right at the mouth of the Salmon where it flows intot he Snake. Took a jet boat in Friday morning, and fished until Saturday late morning before I caught it.

Congats on your first steelhead. Nicely done.

I'll see about posting pics as soon as I get them developed.

94redbeauty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rookie said:
I stood in the Toutle, the Green and just about every other river on the wet side here with my dad during the 60's and never got nothing but the sniffles. My steelhead outfit has been hanging in his garage since '71 when my uncle sam decided he needed my help...

Good job :thumbs

I grew up in Tenino and about a mile of the Skookumchuck flows through my parents place, just never really got into steelheading but I guess its pretty hot in the Skook right now:D

I ran into a guy on the Ronde' that is a guide on the Clearwater, I guess they are just banging them out right now. Said his best day last week they brought in 18 but he said another buddy of his that guides brought in 40:eek:

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
I don't even like Pittsburg?:roflmao :tex
Here I was figurin' this would be one post the Texicans would pretty much stay out of. :D Don't even HAVE Steelhead there... :D

Bryan, are you a Daddy again yet?

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
94redbeauty said:
I grew up in Tenino
My uncle was Superintendent of schools in Tenino for years.

I ran into a guy on the Ronde' that is a guide on the Clearwater, I guess they are just banging them out right now. Said his best day last week they brought in 18 but he said another buddy of his that guides brought in 40:eek:
The Clearwater, the Ronde, and the Salmon are all doing just fine right now, but a dam blew out on the Wieser (way down in Idaho) so the Snake is muddy and murky as anything, so the runs have slowed to a trickle until the mud clears out of the Snake. The fish just hang out down around Central Ferry and Lower Granite until the mud settles, then they head up to their repsective waterways.

The fishing was pretty rough this weekend because of the mud, but if you managed to get up onto a clear waterway (the Salmon, in my case) you had a chance. The weekend before this weekend, one of my buddies casted some flys on the Ronde and caught 3 in one day. That was before the Wieser blew out, so I am pretty sure the mud just fouled everything up...

ForumBlue

CDXX
Reaction score
whatabudro said:
I don't even like Pittsburg?:roflmao :tex

Ha Ha,

and you forgot the h. PITTSBURGH ;)

Pittsburgh-Steelers.gif
Pittsburgh-Steelers.gif
Pittsburgh-Steelers.gif
Pittsburgh-Steelers.gif
Pittsburgh-Steelers.gif