any tips for guages

wpfd571

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i got my guages yesterday, there auto meter ultra lites got a trans, boost, and pyro. my question is does anyone have any helpful hints or tips for the install it seems perty straight forward. i would rather ask now then when i get stuck on something simple and have u guys make fun of me. just kiddin i dont think anyone here would do that. any help would be greatly appericated

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
It is straight forward for the installation. Go slow when drilling and tapping the Exhaust Manifold. Nothing special needs to be done except to vacuum out the EGT probe hole when you are done drilling and tapping the hole. Good Luck!!

Dave

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
It is straight forward for the installation. Go slow when drilling and tapping the Exhaust Manifold. Nothing special needs to be done except to vacuum out the EGT probe hole when you are done drilling and tapping the hole. Good Luck!!

Dave

What Dave said. :sweet

When using that pipe thread tap on the hole you just drilled in the exhaust manifold, go slow in little steps. Turn it in some, back it out a little, go in some more and back it off a bit again. That way you don't break the tap, or crack the manifold or some other ugly thing you don't want to happen.

dieselredneckva

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What Dave and tail gunner said. Just go slow when drilling and tapping (and its a good idea to wear eye protection to protect yourself from the metal shavings) and to try and vacuum out the metal shavings or you can use grease on the tap. It has worked well for me before. It lubricates the tap and it prevents some of the shavings from falling down in. Fairly straightforward and simple install.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
or you can use grease on the tap. It has worked well for me before. It lubricates the tap and it prevents some of the shavings from falling down in.

Drill a bit then wipe clean and re-grease
Drill a bit more then wipe clean and re-grease
Drill a tad bit more then wipe clean and re-grease
Drill a wee bit more then wipe clean and re-grease
By the time the bit punctures the exhaust manifold there are no shavings :cool:

06silvercrew

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just did my install of exact same gauges this weekend. Its all straight forward, pretty simple really. However, I in no way recomend drilling the manifold with it on the truck. You cant and wont get all the shavings out. It only took me 20 minutes to pull the manifold off including taking out the inner fender. And took about 20 to put it back on,. its really a gravy job and that way you know for SURE no meatal hits the turbo. One thing to think about, I dont know if your using a tripple pillar pod, make sure you dont put the boost gauge at the most bottom hole, I did this and was a real pain with the boost line as I didnt have much room.

EDIT: just noticed you have a 7.3, dont know how hard it is to pull the manifold, never done one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarrburg