Any transmission mechanics out there?

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much should I pay to have a front pump installed in a 4r100? Not including labor for R&R of the trans, I have been quoted $350 for that.
Thanks,
Jesse

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you replacing the front pump?

seems a bit high, front pump on a transmission that's already out of the truck will take no more than 20 min. It's not very difficult to do yourself but you do need to replace the rubber&steel washers that hold the front pump in when you take them off.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a shifting problem after overheating the trans, it holds first gear the worst but will hold all gears under hard accelleration until I let off the gas. I replaced the vb thinking I had a sticking valve that was requiring more line pressure to open...it only changed a veeeery little bit (might be all in my mind). So that leads me to a lack of pressure/flow problem. Plus, when putting it in reverse, it takes a little while for the pressure to build and engage the gear.
The $350 quote was for removal and reinstallation of the trans itself.
Jesse

aklim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is an idea. Call BTS. He will tell you what needs to be done EVEN IF you are not buying his products. 1-870-422-3673

Dogman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to have a pressure gauge put on the trans. first and find out what the psi. is.

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took it to a trans shop and the scanner tells me what I couldn't figure out...it's not late 1-2, it's skipping 2 and going to 3. So, he told me the sprag for the intermediate drum or the clutches are toast...yay...rebuild...yay. Would order a trans but the bellhousing has been welded on...yay...have to have this one rebuilt...yay...

Unless I can find a used one that someone pulled to replace with an aftermarket? Or from a wrecked vehicle?

BTW, got ahold of the ford workshop manual (badass!)...is that thing pretty dummy-proof for me to self-rebuild this trans (assuming I get the right tools?)
Jesse
Jesse

orion_134

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, turns out it is most likely going to be cheaper to do this myself...no big deal, just time and money. Anyone local know the ins and outs of rebuilding these things that would care to supervise/advise to my building? I have a Ford workshop manual that has the down and dirty directions...removal and installation of the parts is no big deal...it's the inspection of the hard parts that worries me. A trained eye would be nice to have to double check.
Wouldn't be doing this until late August or September.
Thanks,
Jesse

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14