Question Anybody Know?

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or have any personal experience with a transmission flush. Is it better than just dropping the pan changing the fluid and filter. My dealership says the flush is the way to go.... I have my doubts thought. what do you all think. Any comments would be appreciated. My truck just turned 40 thousand and I need to get it done.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done both. I Changed my own fluid once and just recently had it flushed at the dealer. My dealer charged me around $100 to flush the tranny, but make sure they include the inline filter in the flush. They didn't in mine and I happened to ask, I had to buy it separate.
The big advantage to the flush is that it also gets the fluid in the converter, You obviously can't drain the converter through the pan.
I don't remember off hand how much fluid the tranny holds but when I did the math based on the price of a quart of fluid, the fact that all the fluid is changed, my labor and the disposal of the old fluid, having the dealer do it for about a $100 was worth it.

zr1pete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealership says with a flush all the old fluid comes out ...... but I'm thinking that maybe some of the old crap might also get pushed around in the trans you know into those itsy bitsy tiney tiny little holes......

Last edited:

BamaSixGun

SDD Super Mod/Staff
Reaction score
That's some good info guys. I had mine changed a few months ago.

I need to go back and ask them if it was just changed or flushed.

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
What is the recommeded flush time after 140K. Recently purchased the truck and no manual. The fluid is clear red and no burnt smell. I was thinking about just changin the filter for general maintenance.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Recommended fluid changes are about every 50 or 60,000 miles, I don't remember at the moment. If your fluid is clear and no burnt smell, it has been changed. Can't hurt to change the filter.

Dave

4x4grey88

Nascar Fan #88
Reaction score
Recommended fluid changes are about every 50 or 60,000 miles, I don't remember at the moment. If your fluid is clear and no burnt smell, it has been changed. Can't hurt to change the filter.

Dave

That is what I was thinking. I changed the oil and fuel filters == :dunno (why not) the trans; I will replace the filter this week.

wilson111

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
like kingkevindavis said, the flush gets the fluid out of the converter.. also the cooler and the lines, just dropping the pan won't do this. the flush machine uses the trans. pump to pump the old fluid out and push the new in, that's how they claim 100% fluid transfer. ford filters do a pretty good job at filtering the fluid and unless you have had major issues with the trans., you should be good i flush mine every 30k and change the filter every 60k so to answer your ?, yes the trans flush is well worth the money and will help keep your trans running good and i highly recommend it. imho, ford is trying to push the service intervals too far. in the guide for my 08 6.4..10k on the oil change for normal and 60k for trans and filter. no thanks, i will stick to 5k and 30k.. but thats just me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14