Anyone ACTUALLY HAVE a NON commercial Class A license in CA?

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
I would like to know what reference is attached to your license and what forms you had to sign stating what you were going to pull and what type of vehicle/trailer you tested in. I've got my permit but the 20+ DMV and CHP people have given me 30 different answers to my questions of what I need to test. I'm gonna do it my way now.

My "plan" as of now is to test with "class A" tag trailer if they don't specifically record what you tested in or mark it on your license. I do not have the gooseneck I want because I have to drive to TX or OK to buy one, but can't without a license....which I can't get without a trailer...

I'd like to hear from people that have actually taken the test, not just third hand info... I've read all the handbooks and talked to supervisors in Sacramento and they don't have a clue.

N_P

Truck Nut
Reaction score
To obtain an original noncommercial Class A license, you must:

Complete an application for a driver license (DL 44).
Pay the application fee.
Submit a Health Questionnaire (DL546) dated not more than two years prior to the date of your application
Pass the basic Class C law test (unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past 12 months).
Pass the Noncommercial Class A Vehicles test.
Pass a vision test.
Pass a pre-trip inspection test.
Pass the skills test.
Pass a driving test towing the type of vehicle you wish to tow.

Are you buying an RV? If so, then you should be able to get by with this:

Recreational Trailer Endorsement
A driver must have a fifth-wheel recreational trailer endorsement added to his/her Class C driver license to pull a fifth-wheel recreational trailer over 10,000 lbs., but not over 15,000 lbs. GVWR, which is not used for hire. This endorsement is not required if the driver has a Class A or Noncommercial Class A driver license.

There is no fee unless your license expires within six months.
You will take a law test for a noncommercial Class A license based on the information contained in this booklet. You must also pass the Class C law test unless you qualified for a Class C license within the past twelve months.
You are not required to submit a Health Questionnaire.
You are not required to take a driving test to add a Recreational Trailer endorsement to your current license.
No other tests are required.

Last edited:

Yellowsub1962

supernewbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply NP, but I know all that already, better than over half the DMV people I spoke to, some of which are in the main office in Sacramento, and a few supervisors to boot. I already have my permit. I just need to take the driving test "in the type of vehicle I wish to tow". But I can't get that vehicle cause I can't get the license without that vehicle ;)

I'm not getting an RV. I'm building my own Toy Hauler. the foundation will be a 37ish foot 5th wheel flatbed deckover. this trailer will be rated over 15K (likely 20K GVRW) so I can't "legally" tow it empty with out the Class A license.

This is why I need to know from someone who already did it what information is ACTUALLY on record and attached to the license. is there an "endorsement" on the license for each type of trailer? What about for the weight? length?

Its really stupid cause I can borrow a buddy's 12K dry RV and go down and test, but the DMV says no because I have to bring a trailer rated at over 15K (class A) to show I can handle the weight, but I'm told NOT to load it and bring it empty. So basically I have to test in a lighter (7K empty) trailer to show I can handle the weight that inst there, when I have a heavier trailer available, but it isn't the right "class"...

This all leads me to where I'm at now. If a "class A" is a "class A" is a "class A" with no other physical records, then I'll test in the tag trailer in my driveway and get my license and go buy whatever I want. This is why I need to talk to someone that actually has done it and find out what information was recorded when they got their license and took their test.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14