Anyone do home remodeling/construction? got a few ?'s

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not saying your wrong(I'm not old enough to have any experience from this) but after talking to alot of people this is were opinions have varied alot. Even though you will have less worries about structure, plumbing, electrical etc. with new homes, you will also get a lot less home for the money. I have found some really nice new homes for 180-200. But then I can get a very similar home with twice the yard that is maybe from 84-95 that is still $50k cheaper. I know most of those homes will need to have upgrades if its not already done, but you get alot more to work with.

What part of the country are you in, that new homes go for $200,000?
That is a very reasonable price. I understand your reasoning about getting the most for your dollar, and if you can find a near new, nicer home for less money, then that is a good choice.

NDsuperduty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What part of the country are you in, that new homes go for $200,000?
That is a very reasonable price. I understand your reasoning about getting the most for your dollar, and if you can find a near new, nicer home for less money, then that is a good choice.

North Houston area. For $200k you can get a really nice 3bed 2.5bath with over 2000 sq ft brick house, and a lot over 7000sq ft

Sandman

Superfluous Tasks
Reaction score
I'm in the DC 'burbs.. can't get a condo for $200k..

But..

Some older houses have five times the yard of a new house.. also some older homes are built better..

but.. the older homes have smaller rooms (my original master bedroom is now a walk in closet)..

You can do a lot of the mods yourself.. I have done one total (strip to the studs) bathroom.. added a gas grill (plumber wanted more than the cost of the grill)..

If you decide on an older house, check with the county (or township or whatever you have in MI) re: homeowner building permits.. here the work must be done by a licensed professional or the home owner (not home owner's friend).. and yo want to have your electrical and gas work inspected (so your insurance will pay when the house burns down)

good luck..

oh yea.. one more thing... older houses may not have the beloved homeowners association..

Maxtor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
North Houston area. For $200k you can get a really nice 3bed 2.5bath with over 2000 sq ft brick house, and a lot over 7000sq ft

2000 sq. ft. houses here start at $490,000. In the bay area, it's around 1 million.
In Santa Barbara, there are 133 homes for 1 million to 10 million for sale.

$200,000 is a great deal for you. Prices like that are what make retirees from California move to Texas. :sweet

dougger222

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
5 years ago I gave $160K for a 13 acre hoby farm with 4K sq ft of poll buildings 1/3 heated 3/4 insulated all concrete, 2,500sq ft remodeld house. Only catch it was 90 miles from the Twin Cities and got sick of the commute. Sold it last Winter for $185K.

2 years ago gave $190K for a one acre 1,100sq ft house in the Twin Cities. The house next door is about the same size and for sale for $220K.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14