ANYONE HAVE A BACK UP CAM ON THEIR X

parsrobc

Robert_03_EXC_4x4
Reaction score
i am planning to put a back up cam on my X. Was wondering if anybody else had one. I am really looking hard at the Excursion OE Brake Light Back Up Camera 20-EXCALL, and the MITO Back Up Camera - Blind Spot Eliminator that looks identical .
I am curious as to the field of view. if anyone can take a pic of their display and post it, it would be appreciated.

Robert in NrthWst Houston TX
The Raw Material guy at BOT WW HQ
FOURJAW at yahoo dot com
03 EXCURSION LIMITED 4X4 7.3 AUTO
aFe Magnum Force Stage 2 Intake System
4 Program Chip 0 40 80 120
A-pillar gauges, Pyro, boost, trans temp
STOCK EXHAUST - FOR NOW
STOCK TRANNY - FOR NOW (til i blow it up)
Diesel Innovations ROCKS !

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Robert HOLA neighbor !

If i were looking at back up cams id give SERIOUS consideration
to something that was mulit purpose (indash)...gps mapping or
dvd/videos.

check out pioneer, kenwood etc...theres even a nice (all be it expensive)
set up that replaces the rear view mirror (imbedded in the mirror is
a small tv...the tv screen is not visable until you drop the car in reverse).

personally id want an independant camera activation switch...that way
when the trailer was connected i could take a look at the ball/hitch
periodically when i was towing...just to confirm everythings still
connected properly.

Munkey

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
a buddy of mine put one on his F150. He took a $50 waterproof camera from I think he said Walmart and drilled it into his bumper just above the license plate and hooked into his indash DVD. Works good plus it aids him in hooking up a trailer by himself. FOV is similar to factory ones on the Lexus suvs

Matt M PA

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
parsrobc...I think you are referring to the one that replaces your CHMSL?

I too thought about that, but at least for hooking up a trailer (what I wanted it for) it would not work. The company told me that it only sees from about 3 feet from the back of the truck. You would not see the ball.

parsrobc

Robert_03_EXC_4x4
Reaction score
CHMSL??
The one i was talking about goes up at the top in the middle of the third brake light.
But i was worried that it would not see the ball. It seems like the window is to curved and the window handle latch would block the view.
Thanks for the reply.

Matt M said:
parsrobc...I think you are referring to the one that replaces your CHMSL?

I too thought about that, but at least for hooking up a trailer (what I wanted it for) it would not work. The company told me that it only sees from about 3 feet from the back of the truck. You would not see the ball.

Matt M PA

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Sorry to take so long...CHMSL...Center High Mouth Stop Light.

I think we are thinking of the same set-up. When I talked to the company that makes them, they said it only sees from about 30" behind the truck.

parsrobc

Robert_03_EXC_4x4
Reaction score
CHMSL

Thanks Matt, i have decided to put one in the handle trim so i don't have to worry about the curve of the window and overhang of the handle blocking the view. I just don't expect it to last very long due to the slamming of the door, i am trying to find someone who has a Walmart VR3 so i can see if it can be removed from the license plate frame and put in the handle. A guy over on another forum has his mounted above the license plate, but Texas law says you can't block the view of any part of the license plate and there isn't much room below the door trim and above the plate, so i can't get a Bumble cam in there either.
Thanks for the post on the CHMSL though. i almost bought it to.

Forum moderator, let me know if my signature is getting to big !

Matt M said:
Sorry to take so long...CHMSL...Center High Mouth Stop Light.

I think we are thinking of the same set-up. When I talked to the company that makes them, they said it only sees from about 30" behind the truck.

MykolG

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was at my local Costco yesterday and they have a real neat looking BU camera that mounts to the top license plate screws and is activated by the BU lights. The screen can either be mounted to the visor or on top of the dash via a suction cup. It then plugs into a power port. It's a color screen ,but I wish it were larger. The whole set-up costs about $80. I forget who the mfg is on it though. Seeing as the camera sits right above the hitch, I wonder if it might be too close to focus. Maybe not. Oh, I think its a wireless connection between the camera and the display. Worth looking into.

MykolG

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I don't usually reply to my own posts but..............I bought the camera from Costco for $89 and later found it at Pep Boys for $79. Oh well. I mounted the camera on the top of the license plate and powered it from the license plate lights instead of the back-up lights. [couldn't find the wire for that] Anyway, it seems to work very well for what it is intended for. It is not good if someone comes up behind you with their lights on as the lights wash out the image. Oh, one very interesting thing. Yesterday, in the daytime we were driving along and as my lights were off, the camera was off, however, the monitor was on and on the screen was a clear view from the security camera inside a new CVS Pharmacy that was nearby. I didn't know they used the same frequency. :laugh Oh, yes. When I inserted my ball mount I had to place one of those telescoping magnets on the ball to see where it was. It works. I can now see where the ball is in relation to the trailer tongue. One thing to keep in mind. You can NOT see in 3D with a camera. Therefore you have to be VERY careful when backing up. You have NO depth perseption.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58