Anyone pulled 24K w/ their 08' F450 yet??

bigredram3500

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has maxed out their 08' F450 yet? Say pulling a goosnech or 5th wheel trailer at 24,000 for the trailer and maxing out total 33,000 GCVWR??? Looking for opinions on how it drove.

Heres my idea I'm thinking about: I'd like to get a 4 car trailer and load it up to 23,000lbs max. My truck fully loaded weighs in at 10,000lbs. You get the idea. I run cars to and from the auctions so it would be used a lot!!!!

Let me know, thanks.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man a friend of mine just did a 3k mile round trip...got a low of 7.8mpg
and a high of 9mpg....pulling a 26ft travel trailer.

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont know...certainly less than 18k fully loaded...i mean it was
"just" a 26ft travel trailer...not a 5er'

my friends 2008 f350 4x4 crewcab long bed is an srw equip'd w/ the 3.73

he is NOT happy...(and neither would i be)

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well god knows it could be done....but the fuel bills will NOT be pretty !
id be thinking of a used tractor to do this !

bigredram3500

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an 08 F450 HD tairler, 4.88's, etc. Factory rated at 24,000 for a fiver and 33,000 GCVWR. I tow cars for a local wrecking yard with a wheel lift but got an offer to run auction vehicles also, to the tune of 30-45 per week. I was thinking fo pulling a Kaufman four car trailer behind it to do 4 per trip instead of just 1. Even if my current MPG drops off more than half, it still more than pays for itself vs. a tractor and the extra insurance and DOT stuff.

I just wanted to see if anyone has maxed these trucks out. Did Ford over rate them or are they still rated conservativley(spelling?). The Dodge 5500 is only rated at around 18K for a fiver, but its rated the same for 2wd, 4wd, manual, auto, gearing, etc...I just want to make sure its safe and not going to sway on the freeway or bob the truck around and flip me over.

rustinh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sledpuller,

I'm not trying to start anything here, but I really don't think BigRed's response was attempting to slam you or anyone on here. He was just simply asking if anyone had done it.

We all appreciate your input on the subject, but there is no need to get upset. We're all on here to gain knowledge and help each other out! This site is a great wealth of knowledge for all. ;tu

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BigRed I will tell you this I know a guy that has a franchise (that I have also) that has pulled with an older superduty dually 37,000# GCW. from ATL to Denver. He didn't have a problem with it, and yes he was overloaded and didn't fill out any log reports or stop at weigh stations. Since it appears you have all of the requirements needed you should be okay. I personally like to stay a couple thousand under what Ford has as their max ratings. Maybe I don't tow as much as I can but I feel better staying under 17,000# with the ole F250. I hope this helps. By the way your F450 makes me envious. Good Luck!!!

WD40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Big Red. Sounded like a fair quiestion to me. Don't know why S/P got his panties in a wad. Just his time of the month I guess.
Good luck with your new F-450. Sure like the looks of them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14