ANyone work for the railroad or coal mines?

mille-ryan

Loco Parts Changer
Reaction score
Looking for a change in scenery and career, current one is runnin me dry with no big money to show for it.Im in Colorado Springs but relocation wouldnt be a big problem for the right job.Im just curious as to how many here work for the above mentioned and how do you like it?Ive been an acft mechanic for over 10 years now.ANy tips or input on which route to take appreciated.The railroads have like 40 different stlye jobs so am kinda lost right now except for maybe a deisel mech.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
My FIL was an engineer for BNSF for 25 years, he just took his retirement a few months ago. He ran out of Custer/Edgemont for nearly 20 of those years then out of Casper for the remainder of his career. If I remember correctly, you are from Newcastle originally right? The mines are just west and north of there, I frequently see opening for mechanics in the mines. Pay is good. You might also consider working in the oil/gas industry if you want to stay in the wrenching end of the business. Most of the gas compressors on the pipelines are driven by gas turbines, which being an aircraft mech shouldnt be much of a stretch for you.

My next door neighbor hired on with BNSF about a year ago (he didnt realize his engineer was my FIL until I told him) and got on as a conductor, from that point forward he was studying and taking tests to advance along the pay scale. Its a union job so be prepared for what goes along with all that.

My sisters boyfriend is also a rail rider with BNSF up in Fargo .

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Paul Harvey was talking today about the railroads hiring a bunch more people. Some positions pay $75K to start.

Tbar

mille-ryan

Loco Parts Changer
Reaction score
Yea Im from Newcastle and actually wouldnt mind actualy heading back up that way.Have 2 kids now and not really wanting to raise them in Colorado Springs.Ive seen postings for jobs up that a way with BNSF but nothing Im really qualified for, but I catch on real quick.Also I hadnt even thought about the pipeline, totaly forgot, know of any contact info on it?Not real sure where to persue jobs online for the pipe and mines, railroad a little easier,lol.
Another question since aviation is totaly different, whats the deal with aprentiship?What does it entail or mean.We just have 3 different levels of mechs where Im at and Ima level 3 and once you get there you stall out on pay.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
If you want to work for a railroad try a short line railroad. The short lines will allow you a somewhat normal life. You can see your family. Yhe big guys BNSF, UP,CSX ect. you can be away from home for days or weeks at a time.

All railroads will send you to school. Some will make you pay for schooling (CSX):(

The only qualification you need is common sence.

Good luck.

Lord Tauk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Railroading is not for the faint of heart, particullary if you want to be in the cab of a locomotive. I'm not a railroad employee, but I was looking into doing it for some time and being an avid 'railfan' over the years, here's what I learned;

I don't know exact details of all railroads on how they operate, but I know CSX hires on Conductor trainees, you pay for training how many weeks then normally you get hired on when you graduate. You get field experience, yard work pushing cars around, uncoupling and coupling cars, throwing switches, and everythign else a train crewman does in the yard - learning the ropes of everything in real life situations, you'll also be gradually brought into a bigger scale of hauling freight, advancing to maybe industrial runs in the city you work, then going on long road trips.. with all this you'll eventually become a Conductor. There's lots of rules, and regulations. Safety is all railroads primary concern, and you can't slack off - one mistake and you might find yourself out of a job regardless of how little of a mistake you made. I guess most of the railroads require you to learn how to become an Engineer too, so you can be scheduled to do either. You'll be trained to learn how to operate the locomotive.

However, you won't be doing no 7-3 everyday. You work off an "extra board", you're basically on call 24/7. When you're needed, you'll be called and have an X amount of time to show up. Really, only the guys with a lot of times usually have the same schedule. You can also not work for days, I assume also. Basically to work for a Class 3 (CSX, BNSF, NS, etc. etc.) Railroad, you have to be for it all the way or not at all. Some railroad guys told me you have to really love the railroad to work in one. I believe you are subject to relocation at any time as well for the most part, but you are hired in a typical city to work out of.

13 hours I think is the max you can work onboard a train, then YOU have to have 8 hours off I believe, how do you get back home? Lots of different ways that I dont have exact details on, when you do crew changes you either take a ride back to your home city, railroad pays for a motel, or I think sometimes you may even ride another train back home.

Somethings to think about, you probably won't be home a lot, your body will have to make some serious changes to accomodate the sleep/rest changes along with working at any time of the day. Railroads are never off either, 24/7/365.

Im sure I missed a few things, I'm not trying to say not do it, but you'll have time to do plenty of homework. If you have a family, I'd consider looking at other options in the railroad other than train crew.

Last edited:

mille-ryan

Loco Parts Changer
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and tips.We also do the 24/7 every day of the year here too.ANd Ive been on night shift for 10 years with a whole 6 months on days (yuck).I think Id be ok in the diesel shop or yard, but ill definately keep asking questions to anyone wholl listen.

trackspeeder

Stone Crusher
Reaction score
mille-ryan said:
Thanks for the info and tips.We also do the 24/7 every day of the year here too.ANd Ive been on night shift for 10 years with a whole 6 months on days (yuck).I think Id be ok in the diesel shop or yard, but ill definately keep asking questions to anyone wholl listen.

Depending on the railroad the road jobs can be easy. Hours stink. You have those hours anyways. Personally I liked the conductors job on my local shortline. I did a little of everything.:sweet

If you like playing with locomotives repairs ect. Go for the shop job.:thumbs

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14