Question Are the 10.25 axle shafts the same for the OBS and Super Duties?

Reaction score
I need to know if the sterling 10.25 has the same axle shafts from 96 to current. I know when the disk brake rear ends came out they got a shorter hub. I do not know if the hub is the same length on the later model drum brake rear ends. I am going to swap the hub and disk brake assembly from a Super Duty onto my wife’s 96 and I need to know if I can reuse her old axle shafts.

Part numbers would be awesome, that is the only definitive way I know of to make sure.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

Last edited:

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are different, not sure what is different but the axle shafts do not come up as interchangeable on Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market that site offers the ability locate parts but it also tells you what the parts that they are saying are interchangeable are coming from, and I believe that it uses Hollander interchange data.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nope no hub difference accounted for...

since you are changing the hub if there is any difference in width on the hub you're creating a hybrid axle. The splines on the center will be the same but if there is any length difference.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
splines will be the same because the same lockers are marketed for 10.25 and 10.5

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
You're OBS has a 10.25 Sterling axle? I though the OBS trucks all had Dana axles in the rear.... :dunno

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You're OBS has a 10.25 Sterling axle? I though the OBS trucks all had Dana axles in the rear.... :dunno

nope ford started using sterlings in SRW 3/4 & 1 ton trucks in the 80's the dually trucks stayed with a dana 80 for a while

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58