ATF as additive in 6.0??

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
I read in Diesel Power quite sometime ago that ATF can be used in the 6.0 to help lube stuff up. They said that they've done it, but I was wondering if you used it constantly, would there be any longterm effects? I know it's a very old-school trick. I guess I was just wondering if anyone else used this or knows anything about it.

Thanks.

Kleetus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried it and didn't really notice any difference... I imagine over a period of time depending on how heavy you mix it, it might soot things up a bit.

Mike K

يساعد المعركة لحرية
Reaction score
ATF is a great cleaner, but doesnt it have friction adders in it (for transmissions)? That is the only reason i dont use it. Although i guess the occationally use wouldnt hurt anything, i would just be worried about long term effects.

Off Topic,
is that your truck in your Avatar?

Last edited:

CSIPSD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DO NOT USE ATF in your fuel... it will ruin your very expensive injectors...

rynarnell

03 6.0 8.0lift on 38"s
Reaction score
back in the day you could put fill up your fuel filters with atf. but now the injection pumps got viscosity compensators that adjust to the fuel and probably a bunch more technicle s%^$. Atf would mess it up and the injectors.

MBRPCrazyford

Eat Some Smoke
Reaction score
ATF is a great cleaner, but doesnt it have friction adders in it (for transmissions)? That is the only reason i dont use it. Although i guess the occationally use wouldnt hurt anything, i would just be worried about long term effects.

Off Topic,
is that your truck in your Avatar?

I wish that was my truck :hail !! LOL anyhow thanks everyone for the replies

lvtitan

prototype
Reaction score
yes atf was an old school trick, but with today's high tech injectors i would not recomend using it. we should however use some kind of lubrication until we can be assured that the new ULSD has enough lubricity.

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mechanic that use to work for Ford on nithing but Poserstrokes says to always use some type of additive for lubricity. Now he did say not to use ATF in the 6.0. I would say find a good fuel treatment and use that.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58