ATF change

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My owner's manual says to change the ATF at 30K miles on the Torqueshift tranny if there is an external filter and at 60K miles for the internal filter. How the heck do I know which one I have? I have an F350.

Also what is the DANA rear end? How do I know if I have that type?

Thanks

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also--- how much would you think the dealer will charge to change out the tranny fluid. I'd do it myself, but I work too much and would rather have a shop do it.

Thanks again---

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
if you have the 6.0 engine , you have an external filter located on the passenger side frame area just behind the radiator, its about the size of a normal coffee cup or can of beans
CAUTION if its never been off, it will be extremely tight and you can break it off the mount. slow and sure is the key, don't slap a wrench on it and throw a huge amount of torque on it.

my dealer has a special right now 99.99 to change the filter and i think up to 7 quarts of atf..... then in small print it says DIESELS extra :dunno:rant

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.0 has both internal and external filters. Just trace the transmission lines and you will find the external filter. When you get a new one it looks like a mini toilet paper roll. You also have a traditional inside the pan style. I bet it is pricey for a dealer to do it, The tranny fluid is expensive. Last time I bought some fluid (couple years ago) Ford was still the only one that carried the proper fluid. I think that may have changed now.

dsonyay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just noticed I posted this on the 6.0 side. I have the 6.4L with torqueshift tranny. does that make a difference.

Mod: Can you move this to 6.4 side?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14