Help Needed ATF Fluid/Filter change

jamzin

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I have a 2006 F250 6.0 diesel.
Has anyone changed their own transmission fluid/filter?
I've been successful changing my own oil and fuel filters.
Would it be difficult for a shade tree mechanic?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
atk is correct. Use ONLY Mercon SP! This is the ONLY approved oil. Don't even think about using anything else.

Dave

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember that you have an inline filter and a filter in the pan as well. It is an easy change though.
Speaking of the Mercon SP, I did mine about two years ago and the only place you could get the fluid was Ford. Is that still the case or can you get it at auto parts stores now?

Hoosier Golfer

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have an 03 6.0 with an automatic tranny. Is there any way to tell which transmission i have (model E4OD, etc). Also do I fall into this category of having to use the MERCON SP Oil?? And where are both the filters located at?? Thanks!!!!!!

patrickc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A little info for ya....

If it's a 4 spd it's a 4R100 and a 5spd it's a 5R110. Most 4R100's require MERCON and I believe all the 5R110's require MERCON SP. One of the filters is underneath the tranny pan (inside) and the other I'm not sure. I wasn't aware that our trucks had 2? :dunno

Last edited:

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's a 4 spd it's a 4R100 and a 5spd it's a 5R110. Most 4R100's require MERCON and I believe all the 5R110's require MERCON SP. One of the filters is underneath the tranny pan (inside) and the other I'm not sure. I wasn't aware that our trucks had 2? :dunno

Right behind the front bumper on the passenger side, mounted to the frame.
It is a small filter inside a housing, the filter looks like a miniture roll of toilet paper. I think I paid $27 something at Ford.:dizzy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14