FYI Attention, California diesel owners, Diesel smog testing is coming soon!!!

N_P

Truck Nut
Reaction score
I haven't been following whats been happening in the forum, nor have I posted here for a long time, so maybe this is old news for some, maybe not.

But here it is. Diesel smog testing is coming and it is just around the corner.

Be sure to check out the CARB web site. Diesel Vehicle Smog Check Inspections Information

And at the very least, take a look at the FAQ

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mass. was doing it (supposedly) for awhile but stopped. I bring mine to the same guy all the time.
They are supposed to look under the truck for the Catalytic Converter but having it in place is a federal law anyway so what has really changed?
Quite a few stations where I am from in Mass won't even inspect a diesel because they think they need to put it on a dyno. not sure why they still think that but its another reason I always take it to the same guy.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
As I see it, it's for year models 1998 to present. :cool:
That keeps my '97 exempt ;tu as well as my '84 Mercedes 300D

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
And that is why I have kept my truck 100% stock. No Cat or EGR delete. I knew this was coming years ago, just not the date.

Dave

RSG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what happens if your truck, like mine, doesn't have a cat???

N_P

Truck Nut
Reaction score
If it wasn't manufactured with one, then there is no problem. My 2000 came without one (automatic trans) my buddy's 2000 truck has a manual tranny, and his has a cat.

kingkevindavid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it but a lot of it depends on who you know and where you go (to get it inspected) You can't BS a gasser anymore (in Mass anyway) because they hook the machine up to your OBDII port and read the VIN along with the what the engine is doing.
Back when they used to use a wand to sniff the exhaust and they manually entered the VIN, it was easy to type in one cars VIN but sniff a car that would pass.
The diesels (again in Mass) are just looked at to make sure the the cat is present. Now they do hook the diesels up to the OBDII port (obviously for 97 and newer vehs.) to read the VIN and see if the check engine light is on. If your check engine light is on, you will fail

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14