Auto Diesel vs. Truckstop Diesel Fuels

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering and keep forgetting to ask at the stations I fill at. Is auto diesel from gas stations #2 diesel fuel, or is it #1, supreme, premium, et al diesel?

Reason I'm wondering is, out of all the times I've drained my fuel/water separator, I've only discovered water after long hauls where I've fueled at truckstops. Never any water from local driving where I've fueled up at the gas stations where I normally purchase fuel.

fgtex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question. One would think that it is the same. Maybe the truck stop goes through theirs faster, so you get the bottom of the tank sometime.

I did notice in Arizona, if I remember correctly, that the tax on "commercial vehicle" diesel was like 5 cents more a gallon than "private vehicle" diesel at the same truckstop.

fgtex

Hoss 350

My GSP, Dutch
Reaction score
s d mills said:
I've been wondering and keep forgetting to ask at the stations I fill at. Is auto diesel from gas stations #2 diesel fuel, or is it #1, supreme, premium, et al diesel?
In the winter, in cold climates, it is a mixture of #1 and #2 diesel, to prevent gelling. In the summer, and in warm climates, it is typically #2 only. Any diesel that is branded "premium" or "supreme" is just a gimmick by that particular retailer to sell his wares. #2 is pretty much #2 no matter where you get it.

Reason I'm wondering is, out of all the times I've drained my fuel/water separator, I've only discovered water after long hauls where I've fueled at truckstops. Never any water from local driving where I've fueled up at the gas stations where I normally purchase fuel.
This is actually opposite of what I've typically been told. From what I understand, stations with high amounts of business (ie, truckstops) go through fuel faster, and therefore the fuel sits in the tanks less, and typically is of better quality.

I am assuming that your local fuel retailer also has a high fuel turnover rate, since it sounds like you are getting quality fuel from whoever you're buying it from. The truckstops you are hitting on your long trips are unknowns. They may have leaky tanks, or not have very high rates of turnover, and therefore you are getting crappy fuel.

It has nothing to do with the type of fuel you are getting, since it is more or less all the same. It is most likely the location you are getting it from.

Hope this helps...

As far as tax on commercial fuel vs. private use fuel, I've never heard of that. I am pretty sure that does not occur in Washington State. That is all I know.

Crumm

Fordoholic
Reaction score
I fuel at the same truckstop(only one in town) everytime I fuel up. I worry about the little stations because they don't sell enough diesel to keep the fuel in the tank fresh. There is no such thing as "supreme" only #1, #2 or blended. There is also Jet A and some other stuff but it is just filtered better, not really any better as far as btu's. You will find that most auto service station can't tell you what is in there tanks because there is just a minimum wage dude behind the counter. At most truck stops the #1 or #2 is usually labeled on the pump. I run blended -15 in the fall and spring, #1 during the winter and #2 during the summer.

s d mills

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No truckstops in my area except for the rip-off SunMart Sunoco that most of the off the beaten path trucker just blow by....they hang with the gas station prices.

Speedway and BP are the popular auto diesel dispensers....diesel pickups mostly go to Speedway because of the "Speedy Rewards" program and it's always a couple of cents cheaper. I can't recall ever seeing a pickup at the BP diesel pumps nor an automobile at the Speedway diesel pumps. Unless I fuel up after midnight, I'm usually second or third in line at the pump.

Not only is Speedway generally the cheapest in town for gas and diesel, the Speedy Rewards program kicks butt. I've got a $0.50 per gallon discount coming on 75 gallons whenever I decide to cash them in.:D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58