auto/lock hubs

silverF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The auto lock hubs are were you can leave the hubs locked in 4X4 and then just select it when needed in the cab. The manuallock hubs you have to get out and lock the hubs in every time you want 4X4.

sloaner

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
no my hubs are not like the old hubs, that are spun to eather lock or free.
Mine spin to lock or auto and 4x4 works at eather setting in high or low range.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Auto is where you control the 4X4 in the cab and the hubs follow along. Lock is where the hubs are locked in all of the time and you control the 4X4 in the cab.

Dave

atk

Reaction score
in the auto position they will lock and unlock automatically depending what setting you have your 4x4 switch in...in the lock position they are locked all the time...hope this helps

Beatngu

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Auto they use vacume to lock the hubs when 4WD is selected. Lock means the hubs are locked, but the transfers case is not engaged unless your turn the 4WD on.
Auto will net you better mpg, and forces you to rely on vacume to lock the hubs. Lock is a sure 4WD b/c everything is engaged but the transfer case

bigmike33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Hubs are really stiff to turn. Is that normal or could it be a warranty issue?

dennisj2003

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea bigmike I think everyone has some trouble turning these hubs in,
They have a tight tolorance and just a little dust makes them hard.

I try to turn mine a couple time a month, and spray with some lube.

no-red 6 0

Senioritis
Reaction score
My Hubs are really stiff to turn. Is that normal or could it be a warranty issue?

NO, NOT NORMAL. mike, if you have not phyisically turned your hubs switch to 'lock' in a very long time i'd be pretty close to 100% sure they are toast.

as the case w/ mine. I NEVER turned them by hand, because i always used the esof switch in the cab (i plow). i had had a binding noise one day and took it into dealer who said the seals had rotted away basically from 'like dry rot' and bound themselves up. they were replaced under warranty and he told me to turn them about once a month and roll up and down the driveway just to make sure everything gets some movement.

p.s. i also noticed that once i had jacked up the front end and rotated the tire that the front shaft would spin too. you might want to check that out as well, perhaps yours are locked into 4x as mine were (even tho the dash said 2x).....hope this helps.

Beatngu

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
p.s. i also noticed that once i had jacked up the front end and rotated the tire that the front shaft would spin too. you might want to check that out as well, perhaps yours are locked into 4x as mine were (even tho the dash said 2x).....hope this helps.

When you have them in LOCK, the hubs and front axle are locked up to the transfer case. When in LOCK mode the inside cab switch will engage the transfer case only.
When in AUTO, everything is unlocked. So when the switch inside the cab is turned, the transfer case engages and a vacuum pulls the hubs locked.

So yours was working like it was supposed to.

Leave in AUTO for best mileage because the front wheels turn and the axles don't.
LOCK only bypasses the vacuum system for a guaranteed lock, and the axles spin w/ the front tires.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14