Auto Shut Off Fuel Nozzle

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was filling up at a Murphy Fuel Station last week, waiting on the tank to be full. I heard it get closer to full, and then I heard the nozzle click. But it kept on pumping! I pressed in the flap the nozzle usually pushes up to shut the pump down. Less than a gallon probably spilt, I didn't freak out or anything, just pushed the button. I went over to the attendant. I told her that the nozzle was malfunctioning. She told me that it's a different nozzle than the rest, and I shouldn't have latched it open. I asked her why it had a latch then. She also stated that I probably cocked the nozzle back at too much of an angle to get the tank fuller that the shut off wouldn't function properly. She got irritated with me, and told me I should know better. I asked for her manager's phone number. She claimed to be the manager. She finaly closed her shack and came to my pump. She tried to get the locking tab to unlatch, but couldn't. She again told me "not to use the damn thing". I commented on the fact that if the nozzle was different, it should be replaced, or at least noted on the pump. She said that it came that way, and that's the way it is. She walked away.

What do you people think? Am I really being overly particular? I have bought over $2000 in diesel from this station alone over the past year, not to mention all the gas vehicles I've filled up there. I called the customer service dept. from Murphy USA, and put in a complaint about the equipment as well as the personell. I also asked to get a conformation call from the district manager. Haven't heard back yet.

I have auto shut off nozzles pumping died diesel on the farm every stinking day, and they NEVER fail to shut off. They do spill a bit, but that's also because the fuel filler hole is 3 inches in diameter. And they pump a whole lot of fuel per minute. I have also never filled up at another pump where this was the case, they always shut off.

Am I being realistic here asking that the problem be corrected?

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
Place I deal with has a sign on the pump warning you not to leave the pump unattended because they may not shut off and that you will be responsible for the clean up.

It has happened to me before............BIG MESS!!!

Tbar

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've seen signs like that before, not sure if they were here. I didn't really leave the pump unattended. I had the driver's door open and I was half inside talking to my passenger. I heard the pump click and went to the nozzle, but then found it to be flowing. To stand there and hold the nozzle open the whole time like she is suggesting is somewhat outlandish.

Reaction score
Most gas station attendents are dumber than a box of rocks. Its a real easy fix theres just garbage in the shut off sensor and all they gotta do is spray some brake kleen or compressed air through to get it fixed. But then again i dont make a living off pumpin fuel so what do i know haha.

fordtrucker4life!

I work with waste
Reaction score
I have a (2) 1000 gallon tanks one for gas and one for diesel. Both always shut off when full. The diesel nozzle did freeze up this past winter and also got run over, but otherwise no problems.

I am more pissed with the service. Last Tuesday I noticed it was almost empty. They usually come on Wednesday so I thought no big deal. They only put 239 gallons in a 1000 gallon tank and said it was full. Today it ran out with several trucks needing fuel. I know exactly what they are doing. They are holding back my fuel until the price spikes then they will show up and charge me top dollar for fuel they paid lower for. I am looking at other services now.

Buffs F-350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have fleet fueled trucks for years and some times the auto nozzels just go bad. But most of the time it is the wrong size (gas nozzel on diesel pump) or thay are putting to much pressure through it. Most likely set up as high flow for tractors. But the attitude from the attendent should have never happend.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
"Never Leave Pump Unattended" means you stand there and watch it fill, just because stOopId stuff like this happens once in a while.

powerboatr

living well in Texas
Reaction score
we are still waiting on a call back from a murphy rep since march, corporate is full f wanna be executives that just flat dont give a rats behind.
i got charged .02
there pump took my debit card and came to life then shut off as soon as the nzzle opened.

bank refuned the money but as of yet murphy has no call back, thanks for reminding me i sort of let it go -mad -mad

Elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I really being overly particular? Am I being realistic here asking that the problem be corrected?
In order, no and yes!

Stuff does happen some times, but it should be corrected. Where I buy fuel there is a sign on one of the two diesel pumps about 1/2 the time (always the same pump). If it doesn't stop automatically and you tell the attnedant, they immediately come out an put a sign on it. It would be better if would get fixed properly, but at least they do something...

Sucks that customer service is practically non-existant anymore.

Bolt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I was there today, filled up at a different nozzle (another pet peave, cars hogging the diesel areas, there's only 4 diesel pumps). The nozzle I used this time worked fine, of course. Anyways, I drove around by the nozzle in question again, and it was quite clear that there had been plenty of diesel spills at this nozzle. There was trail to the curb.

Hmmm, if I don't hear back, I'll just put in anonomous tip to the TCEQ? Hehehe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14