autoenginuity usb compatibility

bocephus87

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
i recently came across a version 6 AE scan tool program a friend of mine use to run. He says he uses something else now, but still needs the cable. Will any USB - OBDii cable work? I have seen them for $15.00 online, but figure if i find one in store it will be a bit more. Any help pls?

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The OBD II interface is a standard, as is the USB port interface. But there is a box (about 2 X 5 inches) on the OBD II end of the cable. The box may contain electronics that talk to the program to verify an authentic cable. For $15 I would try it. You may not get it to work, but it won't hurt any thing.

Dave

bocephus87

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thank you. i will have to try and find one in a store... i hope, or perhaps a friend may have a generic cable i can try. The friend i got this from i think is using the same program still, but a newer version he got from his shop. It'd be sweet if this works, but whether it does or not, i'll post back to let ya know if the 'generic' cables are for real.

blackjudas

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Try doing a search for elmscan or USB to OBD via google. Lots available, most I've seen, not so cheap.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
Just like I figured. You won't find anything that will work with Autoenginuity software. They are specific to what program they run.

Dave

bocephus87

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thank you all ^^ Could anyone recommend a good scan tool, for the pc? I know the autoenginuity is suppose to be the best, but just a wee bit steep for my pocket. I doubt there are any cheaper options, just curious ^^ i know a tuner would do the job, but at $500+ it'll be a while before i have one :/ Thanks for all the replies guys.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
None that I know of. Don't go cheap on your truck, you will regret it. I ordered mine before my truck arrived.

Dave

bocephus87

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
thank you all! Yeah i know not to go too cheap ^^ i've seen some free tools, but they dont mention what kinda cables are necessary, and most got pore reviews from others. Oh well, i'll have a tuner one day and then i'll have a scanner.

blackjudas

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Well the scanXL is a pretty awesome program. Can get airbag/emissions/abs/engine DTC's etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58