automatic 4wd hubs

mgrek

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I recently had the ball joints replaced on my 2002 superduty and when I tried to use the 4wd, the automatic hubs would not engage. In replacing ball joints, what could have been disconnected to cause this condition? Where would I begin to look for the solution to this problem?

dboyw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were all the o ring replaced? Especially the yellow one? Also the auto hubs on these are prone to fail.

mgrek

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Dan. The truck is an 02 and has not had any problems with the hubs although I did hear that they are troublesome. I wiggled the plug-in connector to each wheel and I think it works. I can hear a clunk in the hub when I turn the 4x4 on. I will know better when I take it out of the shop tomorrow. It`s snowing and blowing today --- too miserable to venture too far from the wood-burning stove!

dpantazis

Reaction score
mgrek-

the electrical connector at each wheel is the abs sensors.

there is vacuum line running from a solenoid on the passenger side fender under the hood to each hub. follow it and make sure that the hoses are plugged onto the barbs correctly.

there are seals on the knuckles/unit bearings that can get munched if the hub was nto replaced properly. look in the wiki for bearing replacement writeup. look for the yellow seal.

factory auto hubs can get funky.

if you hear a clunk, that is the hub engaging. yo might have only one engaging. you can use a mighty-vac to pull a vacuum to see if the hub engages.

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
mgrek-

the electrical connector at each wheel is the abs sensors.

there is vacuum line running from a solenoid on the passenger side fender under the hood to each hub. follow it and make sure that the hoses are plugged onto the barbs correctly.

there are seals on the knuckles/unit bearings that can get munched if the hub was nto replaced properly. look in the wiki for bearing replacement writeup. look for the yellow seal.

factory auto hubs can get funky.

if you hear a clunk, that is the hub engaging. yo might have only one engaging. you can use a mighty-vac to pull a vacuum to see if the hub engages.

Warns are available through NAPA..
only bad thing is you have to manually lock them in..

just sayin...

NJKen

Is a proud new daddy
Reaction score
When you did the ball joints did you replace the big ugly seals with the propper installer? If not you will most likely find your problem there.
Ken

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58