Question Automatic --- manual conversion?

IHC Power

STOCK STROKE
Reaction score
My 2001 srw f350 psd. Been thinking about standard transmission and want to know if anyone has seen it done or done it themselves. Anything, photos, articles, other forums?? I do know that from the factory the cabs are all the same and other than that need new transmission, transfer case, rear driveshaft, ecm/idm reprogramming etc.....

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Effort, my man... Effort...

as in "too much of"

I've seen it done a couple times, each time for more money than the repair to the auto trans would have been...

Tail_Gunner

CRJ & ERJ A&P Mech.
Reaction score
By the time you factor in the cost of donor parts/transmission etc and the cost of labor (your's or somebody else's), it is more cost effective to to have the auto tranny rebuilt by Brian @ BTS. His tranny's are as good or better than any manual trans (or clutch) around. In fact, Brian has done the swap the other way, from manual to auto.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the trans hump is higher in the 6 speed trucks vs the autos.

you'll also need a new transfer case since the 6 speed has a different spline count on the output shaft.

The Easy list that will well exceed the cost of a built transmission & install from your choice of the better transmission builders is:

Transmission usually 2-3k
Transfer Case around 1k
Shifters for both $300
Flywheel & Clutch $1000
Starter $200
Computer or chip reflash $500
transmission hump section

And for it to look right a steering column & wiring

That is not to say that I haven't debated doing the exact same thing to my truck.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have done this swap on a sc 2wd you have to cut the trans hump out. Your starter will still work though. I have everything to do this swap on a 2 wd trans, cross member, clutch pedal assy, all the hyd for the clutch and a solid flywheel from luk. Let me know if you are interested.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58