Autometer gauges messing up

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently my gauges have been acting up. It doesn't happen every time, but the past few times I've looked at them while driving around, all the gauges have had bogus readings.

Not sure if there is a wiring problem, or what. The attached picture shows the gauges after almost an hour of highway driving. ??

I don't know how these kinds of gauges are setup. Are they just wired gauges?

My gauges are as follows, top to bottom: pyro, boost, fuel press, trans temp.

PS. My fuel pressure gauge isn't hooked up, it doesn't actually have 110 PSI. lol

Any input would be appreciated!

Last edited:

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
most gauge problems can be traced to poor grounds..
I used Auto Meter gauges in my race car back in the '80's, and they DON'T go bad.

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
I am going to side with JL on this one. Check your grounds, carefully. Run a ground wire from the gauges to a good chassis ground.

Dave

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X3 on bad grounds.

I've found that (Gang) wiring all the gage grounds together.. near the gages.. then running One wire.. grounded to a ground that Ford used.. under the dash.. is the way to go, for me.

:dunno

Joe

Same thing with the lighting (?).. One wire, tied into one dash light wire.

Last edited:

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THANKS FELLAS :D

Next question: where would I find the ground wire for it? I've never had to mess with them before, so I dunno

Also, would that have anything to do with the lights behind my speedometer going out? From 90-100MPH isn't illumiated anymore, neither are the 2 stock dummy gauges on the far left :dunno:dunno:dunno

Last edited:

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THANKS FELLAS :D

Next question: where would I find the ground wire for it? I've never had to mess with them before, so I dunno

Also, would that have anything to do with the lights behind my speedometer going out? From 90-100MPH isn't illumiated anymore, neither are the 2 stock dummy gauges on the far left :dunno:dunno:dunno

Something the PO did ?

If so... yul just halfta try and figure out what he did. Pull one gage out and see if he used a black wire for the ground... look under the dash for a black wire coming down from the corner of the dash... hopefully.. you can trace that to where he grounded it.

As far as the dash lights (?) the ground issues could be related.

Joe

DaveBen

SDD Senior Member
Reaction score
The grounds are generally tied to a small bolt under the dash. This is called a chassis ground.

Dave :)

mike.germann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
update: thanks everyone!

found the problem..it was simple. My inner rubber door seal had got wedged in a weird way, and with the recent rain, water was slowly trickling down the A-pillar and so the wires got a little wet. I didn't notice any bare wire contact, but I let it air out a bit to prevent corrosion (somewhat).

I was wondering why I had a leak all of a sudden :O AAAHH I'm getting rained on!

Definitely glad MOST of my problems have been easy fixes :D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks to everyone for the input!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58