Aux Fuel Tank install paper

keanoknick

Big Stroker
Reaction score
That's a great article, very informative.:thanks

I've got a question for ya though, you mention putting an auxillary tank in place of the spare tire, and using a used excursion fuel tank for this. Do you have any more info you could give me on doing that, or a link. Has this been done before, and how hard is it to make it all work? This would be perfect for me, as my spare is useless anyways, I have 38.5" tires, and I don't want to take up my bed space with a tank, I want to put in stacks in the bed. The largest aftermarket tank for that location that I have found is 27 gallons, I'd really like to get 40+ :thanks

FTG-05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a great article, very informative.:thanks

I've got a question for ya though, you mention putting an auxillary tank in place of the spare tire, and using a used excursion fuel tank for this. Do you have any more info you could give me on doing that, or a link. Has this been done before, and how hard is it to make it all work? This would be perfect for me, as my spare is useless anyways, I have 38.5" tires, and I don't want to take up my bed space with a tank, I want to put in stacks in the bed. The largest aftermarket tank for that location that I have found is 27 gallons, I'd really like to get 40+ :thanks

The used Ex tank idea came from someone who did it that I read about on the The Diesel Stop. Quite frankly, the post was quite a while ago and you'd either have to go there and post a question or perhaps do a search. The guy who did it posted pics and everything. Since I've done similiar with a Nissan pickup and Toy 4runner, I thought long and hard about adding my fuel that way, but eventually decided on the in-bed tank.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Al

bushpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nice ! and personally i dont think you can go wrong w/ an in-bed tank
the sizes are such that you can get what EVER your wildest transportation
needs could EVER need....and certainly more any your arse could stand :D

AND you can take it w/ you (to your next truck, no matter what brand).

caissiel

Laurent
Reaction score
I have been using such a tank for the past 14 years and have transfered the tank on my 3rd truck. One thing I did different is to install a vent line from the filler tube to the top of the aux. tank. This allowed faster drainage while allowing the air from the truck tank to vent to the top of the aux. tank. the truck cap then vents both tanks.

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been using such a tank for the past 14 years and have transfered the tank on my 3rd truck. One thing I did different is to install a vent line from the filler tube to the top of the aux. tank. This allowed faster drainage while allowing the air from the truck tank to vent to the top of the aux. tank. the truck cap then vents both tanks.

My granddad had has a sealed aux tank with just screw on cap(no vent on it). He has to open the cap to pump his fuel in. I did the mod you did of putting the vent from the tank to the filler neck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F350 On Track