Auxillary Tank Install

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixing to order me an auxillary fuel tank. I was going to order the install kit that comes with it, but I don't think it's going to work. It's made for the newer trucks that have a single fuel filler hose, where ours has the vent running inside the filler neck. What options do I have to install this?

My initial thought was to either put a new fitting on the stock tank, run the vent there, and replace the filler neck & use the install kit (more costly)
OR
Drop a line from the new tank to the stock through a new fitting with a check valve. No kit needed.

Any other solutions you guys have come up with?

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm assuming your gonna put the tank in the bed so I don't understand what your going to use the check valve for and how your going to keep it from over filling. I put an auxilary tank in the bed and used a 6 port valve and tied into the fuel lines flip a switch and your from factory tanks to aux and back

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Richard -- that's what I was thinking about, but the one for ford's won't fit our filler necks (because of the extra hose in the middle of ours)

Here's one of the reviews that made me question it for my truck:

"I had a 96 Ford F-250 and had a 100 galon aux tank built for it, but when the time came to install it they could not hook it up because of the vent hose was on the inside of the main fill hose. So i had bought a 2001 F-350 and it went in with no problems because the vent hose was on the outside. And it does need a bigger drain hose for sure because it does feed fuel pretty slow. Also had to JB weld hose fitting to tank because it stripped the threads. Overall great kit just check to see if your vent hose runs on the outside of main fill tube."

93Turbo -- Yes, it'll be in the bed. I wanted it to gravity feed to my front stock tank because of my SVO conversion and the extra heating that's available there.. I just assumed that the check valve would fill the tank all the way into the filler neck and shut o f the flow of fuel from the aux tank??

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have retrofitted mine so that mine uses a vent that is on the outside. You remove the center vent line and replace the roll over valve on top of the tank with a 3/4" thread 90° hose barb to your selected size hose and then run the hose up to the filler neck. You'll have to drill and weld or in an adapter here (I used a 1/2" street elbow) then hook the hose onto your choice of hose barb for this end.

This was commonly referred to as the fuel tank vent mod on TDS and allows you to get a few extra gallons in the tank and fill to the top of the filler neck.

Then you have a second hose for vent and can fill the primarly tank with a large bore nozzle I'm not sure given the photo how exactly that works to keep from over filling the factory tank.

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
A friend with a converted '97 with the Plantdrive kit used that install kit with his aux tank and it does fit our trucks. There are two down sides. First, during winter when the vegoil in the aux tank is very cold and viscous and driving at WOT the oil drops to the stock tank slower than the fuel consumption. What this means is that with the valve open the dash fuel gauge drops because the oil is so thick and can't keep up with the demand. During warmer weather the oil is thinner and it drops to the front tank fine at WOT. The other down side is that filtered oil will still settle very fine sediments over time. Connecting the aux tank to the front tank will enable the sediment to settle in the stock tank over time. I avoided this by using a transfer pump on my aux tank. Periodically I drain my aux tank and rinse it with B99. During winter when the oil is viscous I set a valve to redirect the coolant loop to warm the tank just enough to not burn up my transfer pump. I installed an Arctic Fox fuel warmer in the aux tank.

stroker21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know about the svo system but I just welded a nipple into my filler tube and plumbed my aux tank in there. I actually welded two, one for a vent from the factory tank to the aux tank. My granddad had an aux tank on his dodge and when he transfers he has to open his fuel cap so that it doesn't take forever to fill up the oem tank. He and I have small transfer tanks so DOT stays happy. They require a pump or a check valve. I figured the pump so I could transfer faster and check fuel mileage on small tank by tank instead of at fill up.

93turbo_animal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my aux tank is my wvo tank so I ran seperate fuel lines up to the lift pump so it helps with quicker purges. to me a check valve is just a vale that limits the flow to one way only not an automatic shut off

bbressler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update -- got my install kit..it ain't gonna fit.

I can take the check valve off the kit, what do you guys think about just drilling and tapping the tank, and installing it there?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58