average tranny temps??

96EDGEpsd

Welding/Fabrication
Reaction score
i think my tranny is runnin a lil hot...kinda hopin so time for a little overhaul...wuts a normal trans temp?? e4od?

ip2222

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Trans temp varies with type of use,from 150, no load cruiseing fall weather to 230 with load and summer. Temps can go higher but if they do, you need a bigger cooler. One note, if tcc is slipping, a really big cooler won't help. I have 2 coolers on my '01 sd 4x4.

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
A good guesstimate for normal is approx 100 degrees over ambient temps. Thats just a guess and your driving styles can grossly exagerate that figure. ie, if you are hard of the pedal from each stop sign or are in stop and go traffic continually. But for the most part, open highway driving you should be 90-110 degrees over ambient conditions.

timberjack

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as too cold tranny temps? After i put the gauges in my 96, i barely ever see 100 degrees on the highway cruising at 60. In a city, tooling around at 30 or so, i can get about 125-140 dregees.

I've only had my trailer behind this truck a few times, but towing a John Deere "D" through rolling country, i also only saw about 150 degrees at the most.

There is an aftermarket cooler installed in conjunction with the rad tank system.

Oh yes, this should be my first post. Nice site, how long has it been operating? I got shuffled over from thedieselplace when i went to look in the powerstroke folder. Still have to fix up my signature.

Ken

95_stroker

Jefe
Reaction score
Ken,

Welcome over to SDD, weve been in operation for about 10 months now. Glad you found your way over here from TDP.

There has been significant debate on what constitutes too cold. Mechanically speaking, your TC and valve bodies will love you forever at temps of 140 and below. The biggest debate with cold oil is that it never gets warm enough to cook off any moisture that might condense inside the unit. My suggestion is keep up with your yearly transmission fluid changes and be happy you have a cool running tranny.

In Ontario I can believe you dont get enough warm days in the winter to get the tranny warm, but how about in the summer months?

smokin joe

Smokin.....
Reaction score
What about running synthetics like Amsoil ? Does that help your tranny, because the next change I was thinking about doing that to mine ?!

BLUKTY

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
I believe that the Amsoil ATF would be hard to beat in these transmissions. I plan on switching to Amsoil on my next change. Pete

timberjack

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
95_stroker said:
In Ontario I can believe you dont get enough warm days in the winter to get the tranny warm, but how about in the summer months?

Thanks for the reply.

Well, this winter we have had a pretty warm winter, but i guess everywhere is like that. Where it should be about 30 below at night, it's been 20 to 30 degrees above zero fahrenheit lately. We do get our share of 100+ degree days in the summer, but i haven't been towing or even driving much during those days. I would say the average temp between june and september is in the 70-80's, with the odd hot spell for a week or so.

Sounds good otherwise, i usually keep a close eye on all the fluids in my vehicles, and changing oil once a year isn't too much to do.

Thanks
Ken

hheynow

Señor Aceite de Soja
Reaction score
smokin joe said:
What about running synthetics like Amsoil ? Does that help your tranny, because the next change I was thinking about doing that to mine ?!

My E4OD loves Redline synthetic ATF. Redline has an ATF for even higher temp protection HERE .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colvinecoboost14