axle wrap

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
Hello.

I am gradually getting more and more noticeable "bounce" from a stand still starts. I am leaning towards it being axle wrap. Is this a sign of the shocks need replacing?? or do all SDs do this and im just getting more and more pissed at it????

The trucks got 120K on it and I think stock shocks. all I know is the one bounce test for shocks and..... its hard to get this thing to move!!!! but on road it rides fine.:dunno

all bushings seem fine drive shaft has no play. If I took the shocks off is there a bench test I could do????

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
Hello.

I am gradually getting more and more noticeable "bounce" from a stand still starts. I am leaning towards it being axle wrap. Is this a sign of the shocks need replacing?? or do all SDs do this and im just getting more and more pissed at it????

The trucks got 120K on it and I think stock shocks. all I know is the one bounce test for shocks and..... its hard to get this thing to move!!!! but on road it rides fine.:dunno

all bushings seem fine drive shaft has no play. If I took the shocks off is there a bench test I could do????

could be..
slapper bars are the cheapest "cure."

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good shocks will help but will not cure the problem

if this is a new phenomenon then double check your spring packs to see if there is a spring cracked.

What kind of driving conditions are you seeing the intolerable axle wrap under?

iracemine

black and tan
Reaction score
slap bars??

empty its just annoying. loaded it feels like the car is rolling back and forth on the trailer and then catching really hard (its not).

PStroked444

SDD Junior Member
Reaction score
Could be the slip joint on the drive shaft. I think it is called slip yoke?? A little cleaning then some grease an no more thunking. JMHO.

BJS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
slap bars are like these that bolt up to the bottom of the leaf spring at the axle and then allows a certain amount of axle wrap until the bar "slaps" the leaf spring to stop the wrap.

G_21535G_CL_1.jpg

Is this under normal driving or are you getting on it hard? if it's normal day to day traffic driving then it's not axle wrap unless you have broken springs. It's somewhere else in the driveline.

Known problems that would trigger the problems similar to what you're describing.
-Rear pinion bearing loosened (torque to spec there is a crush sleeve to set bearing preload)
-Universal joints
-axle hanger bearing (bushed in rubber and rubber wears out)

JLDickmon

ursus combibo
Reaction score
yeah, I have to do something with mine, and SOON.
it bangs so hard every time I leave a stoplight..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58