Back from my trip but have a truck prob

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Well made it back from our trip. Went to Finger Lakes Park in Missouri. Left Wed around 2 and came back today around 630. Took the quads and dirtbike there to ride but only rode maybe a few hrs cause it was so dang hot. We swam more than anything haha. Truck did great on the way down and most of the way back. Noticed the starter was gettin a lil weaker. Also my AC started actin up. It would blow cold then hot, then cold again. Also I think my blower fan is goin out or it could be another prob. I have to hit the blower motor for it to come on. I think its the motor though cause before the trip it wouldnt work at all. But the main prob is I think my alternator is out. We stopped at Watkins Mill in Lawson Mo and it started weak again but always fires up like normal, but my batt light was on. So I checked all my cables and some were loose. Tightened them up and still light is on. I kept an eye on my volt gauge and it wasnt where it normally is. Was goin further and further down to 8. By the time I pulled in my driveway it was below 8. But truck never missed a beat. I didnt turn it off till my trailer was disconnected and parked it in a good place to work on it. My windows werent workin and my gauges started goin weird. I shut it off and tried to start it and nothin. Good ole Ford made it back! I ran this thing 65-70 with ac on all the time pullin my big enclosed trailer full of gear. Looks like I got some work to do tomarrow. Pretty sure its been rebuilt atleast once since this thing has over 267k on it. Im pretty sure its bad but is there somethin else I should check with these trucks? havnt had a chance to do any other checking since Im exhausted. All I've done so far is open the hood so it will cool off quicker. I do have it on the charger so the batts will be fully charged tomarrow.

BIG JOE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd load test each batt individualy.. sounds to me like it's time for a New Alternator.... maybe 2 New Batteries.. depending on the load test results.

ALL the gremlins you describe are indicators of a BAD 12v charging system.

These things REQUIRE.. Good, Strong, Clean Voltage & Amps.. to Run & Act right.

Joe

Tbar

SDD STAFF/Moderator
Reaction score
As Joe said get the alternator and bats checked out. If its the alternator buy one with a life time warranty.

Tbar

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same conditions on my company truck last week. Battery light, abs light and all gauges stopped working. When I got home the electric windows would barely roll up. I tried to crank it up but would only click. I jumped it off but dash lights still on. The next day I jumped it and drove 60 miles into the shop. The mechanic checked and it was the alternator. He replaced the belt as well. It fixed the problem.

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Yea im in the process of checkin it over. Cleanin cables and terminals on the batts and checkin the alt. I will also check the belt too since im in that area. How much is a new alt with a lifetime warranty? I was thinkin of just gettin this one rebuilt? Or should I just go get a bigger alt? I dont know what size mine is and if I can, go bigger in amps? My plans in the future is hookin up my charging system to my enclosed trailer to help charge up a deep cycle battery to run my lights and porch lights on my trailer.

Smoky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea im in the process of checkin it over. Cleanin cables and terminals on the batts and checkin the alt. I will also check the belt too since im in that area. How much is a new alt with a lifetime warranty? I was thinkin of just gettin this one rebuilt? Or should I just go get a bigger alt? I dont know what size mine is and if I can, go bigger in amps? My plans in the future is hookin up my charging system to my enclosed trailer to help charge up a deep cycle battery to run my lights and porch lights on my trailer.

I had the cable issue on my personal SD once and learned on here (from DaveBen) about taking the cables off and cleaning them to insure proper ground to the battery. I would definitely go to the larger alternator if you plan on doing what you said about the trailer hook up. Go to the search thread button and search alternator. I think you will find a good thread or two about using larger alternators.

Try this website:

6G Series Heavy Duty Bridge Rectifier High Output Alternator

To look at new aftermarket alternators for your ride.

Last edited:

Stroked68

This is FORD Country
Reaction score
Well took the alt apart and the brushes were bad and the slip rings were totally worn out. Bearings were getting a lil noisy too. I will probably hold off on a bigger alt for now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woodrow58